Axel Rudi Pell - The Crest

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
The-Crest.jpg

Been a huge fan of recent ARP disks and when I heard The Crest was being released in April I got a bit excited and then ARP released this song on his site as promotion and at first I was a touch disappointed but now I am starting to love it. I hold Johnny Gioeli in the highest regard as a singer. He's one of those that can sing the phone book and make it sound good. Axel never disappoints me and I'm pretty sure The Crest will be up to his usual high standards. People like to moan about ARP saying things like all the songs sound the same and his solos are shit. But I don't really care about originality at all as Axel is a great song writer all round and with Johnny on the mic you can't go far wrong. You can stream or download the song below. I think the song is a real slow burner but soon enough the passion shines through big time.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=audio&file=AXEL_20RUDI_20PELL_20__20DEVIL_20ZONE.mp3

I've honestly never heard a bad Axel Rudi Pell disc. Granted, they never steer off of the straight and narrow, but who cares!

Agreed! Pell offers no surprises with his material, but also never disappoints (I'm looking at YOU Mr. Malmsteen!!!). Definitely will pick this up at some point....

I love the music of both ARP, and Malmsteen, and if i had to choose who was better, I would have to go with Malmsteen still because Axel Rudi Pell plays some of the worst crappiest guitar solos on the planet they are long and shitty everytime, he has no feel for guitar solos so so so choppy and I can't even really put into words what his solos sound like to me but they ruin the songs everytime. Now Axel can write a great song, I love his song writing I always have he uses the same cool lyrics and riffs it's really relaxing and rocking to listen to because u always know what u are going to get, a great riff, great vocals,kickass chours, shit solo! All the same applies for Malmsteen Same kickass riffs,great vocals, cool chours, Badass solo, and that's the winning point for me anyway.

Well, Pell never disappoints on the production end. And he doesn't change vocalists every album.

I am a bit sick of him, but he can write a tune. Fast, short tunes anyway. I'm never very impressed by his eight minute "epics" that are really just boring. Even Goeili can't save those borefests.

Love to see him at PP though. He'd kick ass live and he's got some genuine classics like "Carousel", "Tear Down the Walls" and "Warrior".

Yeah but Yngwie has the worst productions in the history of metal making his compositions almost unlistenable for me. That last album with Ripper had laughable production and the songs weren't great anyway.

I thought the songs were good on that. Most of them anyways, but man you aren't kidding about the production. Ripper's voice just wasn't as prominent as it should have been. I liken that production to AC/DC's Fly on the Wall, which in my opinion is one of the worst productions ever on cd. What's so weird about it though is that Roy Z helped mix a good portion of that and everything he seems to attach his name to tends to sound great. Then again, on those disc he's producer and on this one he wasn't.