Back to The Hack

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
So.. I'm back with my Hackintosh; it seems a lot faster this time round!

I did my install slightly differently. I already have a Macbook (actually it's my girlfriends) so I borrowed a SATA hard-drive-enclosure from a friend. I put my destination OS drive into it, and hooked it up to the Macbook.

I then ran the OSX installer on the Macbook, giving my OS drive as a destination. Same thing with Chameleon 2.0rc2 bootloader, and same thing with the 10.5.8 combo-update.

Chameleon bootloader creates a folder on your OS drive; Extras/Extensions/

I put all of the key extensions required into this folder. Then put the hard-drive into my PC. Booted it up with AHCI mode specified in the BIOS.

Presto; one Hackintosh to go! :headbang:

Put Logic 9 on it, and now going through the process of installing everything I need for future audio work.

Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600
RAM: OCZ Gold 800mhz 4GB
Graphics: ASUS EN7300LE
Other: RME Hammerfall 9652 PCI

I didn't have to change anything else in the BIOS. Chameleon 2.0 has a quiet-boot option, where you can have it just boot straight into OSX. I've not yet looked at this, as I'm more concerned with getting up and running in terms of making music. But as far as I know, it is possible. Currently I have a dual boot screen pop up each time I start-up the machine, similar to this:

2cot1kg.jpg

If you check the OSX86 HLC, you can see how supported your motherboard is. Some of them (like mine) need an audio patch. But I didn't bother doing this, as I don't use my PC's built in audio.

Next week, I'll be buying at least one (but maybe two) Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 drives. These are reputed to be the best drives to use for a Hackintosh; very quick drives.

Honestly? There isn't really a straight-forward or comprehensive guide around. There are loads of guides at www.insanelymac.com on the forums, but:

a: A lot of the information can be out-of-date, so you need to be careful what you pay attention to.
b: A lot of the information is locked away in little cliques of knowledge; much like this place ;)
c: The nature of the internet makes it harder to really find what you need

But it's not really hard. If you have access to a Mac, you can follow my steps and be basically up and running in 30 minutes; no joke!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76404

That is a fairly decent guide, although a little hard to read because the guy who wrote it isn't too great at English.

haha, cliques of knowledge. I've never really though of this place like that. Maybe we should password protect it as from today, so we are all self contained production super heros lol.

I was once tempted by hackintosh, my hardware is all good for it. I love windows too much :lol: