Badlands - A long, lost gem!

adaher said:
I keep hearing that John West was in Badlands at some point. Did he just tour with them, or did he actually record anything?

He did not record anything as far as I know. Just toured. Too Bad.

Was Ray Gillen related to Ian Gillen?

Bryant said:
Gillen had an awesome voice. He actually recorded a release with Black Sabbath, but it ended up being scratched in favor of Tony Martin, who recorded the vocal tracks for the eventual release. The guitarist of Badlands, Jake E. Lee was also quite accomplished. His work was unique and well written for the most part.
Since you like that style of music and I just mentioned Tony Martin, have you heard Misha Calvin's "Evolution I ?" It features Tony on most of the vocals with Ian Perry on the others. It eally sounds a bit like Whitesnake on steroids and has a definite 80's style, but the guitar and vocal performance is had to touch.

Bryant

I've not heard of Evolution I, but I'll check it out! If it sounds like Whitesnake, then I'll love it! I do like Tony Martin. Tony sings on the most recent Rondinelli album. I highly recommend it! The last Brazen Abbott release it awesome stuff! Of course it's got Jorn on it, so you can't go wrong!

booB said:
Also.. I wouldn't even necessarily characterize them as "80's style rock"... to me, they're timeless.
I agree. They have more in common with 70's blues rock, like Bad Company & 70's era Whitesnake, than 80's metal.

As for finding their albums, I'd try ebay or your local used record shop, if you have one.

TheWhisper said:
No, actually the last names are spelled different.

Ian Gillan...Ray Gillen.

That is true. Oh well, Ian is one hell of a singer himself. The work he did on Perfect Strangers for DP and on Born Again for BS was amazing.

Okay back to Badlands.................

FatesFan said:
That is true. Oh well, Ian is one hell of a singer himself. The work he did on Perfect Strangers for DP and on Born Again for BS was amazing.

Okay back to Badlands.................
I remember back in the day when DP reformed and recorded Perfect Strangers, myself and all my friends were psyched as hell. I still think that album stands up with some of DP's best like Machine Head & Burn and others.

Badlands will always be one of my favorites from that time. Ray to this day is still one of my favorite vocalists, him, along with Paul Shortino.. those boys can sing. I like the rough bluesy style they both have.

If you can find it, pick up the 3rd Badlands album (yes w/ Ray) called Dusk. It was released well after his passing. There's also a memorial album of Ray's as well, I also have this and theres some special stuff on there.

Winter's Call is an amazing song, and as for the others I can honestly say I like everythign they've recorded.

I got to see them live in Ft Lauderdale at the Button south on the Voodoo Highway tour w/ Saraya (another great band) opening. If you think that they're albums sound good... woo man, they smoke live. I'll never forget that show.

TheWhisper said:
I remember back in the day when DP reformed and recorded Perfect Strangers, myself and all my friends were psyched as hell. I still think that album stands up with some of DP's best like Machine Head & Burn and others.

Yeah! Remember the ads "Destiny brought them back together!" :worship:

Creeps said:
I got to see them live in Ft Lauderdale at the Button south on the Voodoo Highway tour w/ Saraya (another great band) opening. If you think that they're albums sound good... woo man, they smoke live. I'll never forget that show.
They played the Rock-It Club here in Tampa. Sandi Saraya was a hot little number... :worship:

I have all three Badlands CDs as well, but never got my hands on Sun Red Sun. Now I guess I will have too since you all brought up all this nostalgia. Thanks for forcing me to break into my wallet again, what with all the chat about great bands I need to check out and Glenn with his choices for the show :loco:

Too bad Ray went the way he did, horrible disease... must be careful.

Creeps said:
Badlands will always be one of my favorites from that time. Ray to this day is still one of my favorite vocalists, him, along with Paul Shortino.. those boys can sing. I like the rough bluesy style they both have.

If you can find it, pick up the 3rd Badlands album (yes w/ Ray) called Dusk. It was released well after his passing. There's also a memorial album of Ray's as well, I also have this and theres some special stuff on there.

Winter's Call is an amazing song, and as for the others I can honestly say I like everythign they've recorded.

Two comments...Paul Shortino...very cool (that one damn Quiet Riot album he did is such a guilty pleasure)...

Saraya...man...they should have gone places. When The Blackbird Sings is such a great album...shows that chicks really can rock...

You've got damn good taste, Creeps...but I think I've told you that before!

Rock on!

TheWhisper said:

I don't mean to make this post morph into a DP appreciation thread...but Purpendicular and Bananas really do stand up well in DP history, in my opinion.

Any DP fan should check those albums out...it's so good to see those boys just keep on rockin'!

Rock on!

ashaman7122 said:
Two comments...Paul Shortino...very cool (that one damn Quiet Riot album he did is such a guilty pleasure)...

Saraya...man...they should have gone places. When The Blackbird Sings is such a great album...shows that chicks really can rock...

You've got damn good taste, Creeps...but I think I've told you that before!

Rock on!

Why thankyou..thankyouverymuch.

Yah we seem to be on the same wavelength for most of our bands. :headbang:

I'll third the Saraya thoughts as well. Good first album, and really great second album. I wonder what ever happened to them . . .

Steve in Philly

I'd be interested to find out, too--didn't find much online about what happened. I still have Saraya (and the Shocker soundtrack) on cassette. I saw the video for "Love Has Taken Its Toll" and had to get it.

S

I actually have a cassette copy of a bootleg of Ray doing a show with Black Sabbath. I am going to transfer it on to cd one day. He is incredible and sounds great doing the Sabbath stuff. Badlands as well as Blue Murder with John Sykes from Whitesnake are some of my favorite bands not just from the 80's but ever.

Rezz said:
Heck yea! I was lucky enough to see them live in Portland, Maine, back around '90. They were on tour with (if I remember correctly) Great White and Tesla. I was really into their first cd at the time so I really enjoyed their set. I have all three of their cds but the first one is my fav by far.

I was supposed to see them in Missouri on that tour. I was a Southern Illinois University at the time. Badlands played at the Illinois State Fair, and my friends and I decided to skip that show to see them in Missouri with Tesla and Great White. When we got to the show, we found out that Badlands had left the tour to tour with Cinderella or somebody like that. We were so pissed. We were there to see Badlands. Argh!

I like the first two CDs. I could never get into Dusk. I especially like Whiskey Dust. That guitar work rocks.

I always liked Blue Murder too. They had such a unique and cool sound. Ptolemy and Valley of the Kings were really cool tunes. Still are.

Creeps said:

Saraya, I remember them, but I can't put my finger on any songs? You've got my curosity up now, so I'll have to check them out. Winter's Call seems to be a fan favorite, but I have to say, I love High Wire and Dreams In The Dark!

Creeps said:

The Button South... Man, that brings back some memories...