Bal-Sagoth

Ormir

Oct 11, 2001
Espoo, Finland
I'm just wondering if there are any other fans of this band in these forums. I think they're one of the most original bands in the underground metal scene, and a massive breath of fresh air in a formulaic genre. It' great to see a band that can use a fantasy theme in their music without resorting to bland and pathetic power metal. I think the high-point of their career was "Starfire Burning Upon the Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima-Thule" an almost perfect album in all ways. "Battle Magic" was somewhat predictable, but "The Power Cosmic" was a great return to form.
"Atlantis Ascendant", however, was a dissapointment. They're obviously masters at what they do, but the fact that there was no progression or experimentality to the music, making it just "another" B-S album is what makes it my least favourite B-S album. The quality of song-writing seems to have dropped too.
Any thoughts?

I do like them, i'm not a huge fan though, but i've always listened to them once in a while.. Though i like their last album a lot! Maybe that is because, i've never been a huge fan ... ! But they are damn orignal, that i can say :)

Yeah i am a big Bal Sagoth fan as well. I find they they are perfect escapism music.
I actually thougt that Atlantis Ascendent was better than the last couple. Maybe it has just taken me time to get over the disapointment of them never matching Starfire.. (incidentally one of my favourite albums of all time) again.

Still no one else anywhere sounds like them so i will have to accept even their second rate releases!

Bal-Sagoth are fantastic!!! Im listening to Atlantis... now - got it about 2 weeks ago - and i love it to bits!! Its so over the top, but thats what makes me like it even more. I've only heard a few earlier songs - but im definatly gonna track them down!!

ALL HAIL THE WARRIORS OF HYPERBORIA!!!

It's funny how no other band seems to inspire as much fanaticism from its fans as B-S. When the music grabs you the first time it's almost like a religious awakening, and you realise you're listening to the best fucking music ever. The adrenaline rush is great, and I had to supress the urge of conquering my neighbours several times while listening to the music, not to mention moshing. B-S takes you to another world with their music, makes you forget about life and its problems, makes you feel like a warrior riding into the glorious fray of battle to smite the pitiful thralls that defy you. Or maybe I'm just a freak... :err:

I think that the band is in need of grabbing themselves by the neck and challenging themselves as musicians though. "Battle Magic" saw them refining their art to the sound it is today, but since that, the tracks have basically been interchangeable. I've noticed a reduction of keyboards to a more guitar-driven sound though, somewhat difficult to notice, but if you listen to "Starfire" you'll notice that the keyboards are almost perpetualy playing away and mixed quite high, in "Atlantis..." they're far more subtle.

B-S takes you to another world with their music, makes you forget about life and its problems, makes you feel like a warrior riding into the glorious fray of battle to smite the pitiful thralls that defy you.

Exactly.

"Battle Magic" does that to me, and "Starfire Burning..." and "Atlantis" too.

I like "The Power Cosmic" and "A Black Moon Broods..." the least, the first because it is *too* catchy :) and the second because it sounds like it has been produced in one of the band's fabled dungeons.

Actually they do tour, in fact, they're on a tour right now, with Marduk. They're playing at least some gigs in Britain, so you might be able to see them. More details at www.bal-sagoth.co.uk

Damn it would be nice if B-S got a forum here, the official one sucks.