Bal-Sagoth!

kingdomgone86

Jan 6, 2010
I think Bal-Sagoth would be a perfect addition to ProgPowerUSA at some point. They rarely play in the USA. I think the last time they did was like 3 years ago and it was just a one off type thing. I know they would have quite a draw. I know quite a few people that get into them from around my area, which is a smaller city in Indiana. I think they are strange enough to be considered for the fest and special enough for people to travel from all over the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
from what I heard they were not much of a draw but it was at heathen Crusade and they really didnt fit the bill but stuff it wasnt the draw you think they were.

Could you try that again in English?

I'd love to see Bal-Sagoth someday. Sure, they're cheesy, but they're a fine kind of cheese, a cheese with a long name.
Make that a VERY long name.

:)

Byron has said a few times in interviews that he hates power metal music and the type of fans it attracts and that Bal Sagoth is unfortunately gaining a following in the power metal community. Something that he doesn't really appreciate I think and if BS somehow took to the PP stage he's probably spend half the time taking the piss out of all the progpower fans and it might not be a pretty sight at all! :)

Anyway I think Bal sagoth is pretty much dead as a band. They might play the odd date but there will probably never be another album. Since we are talking Bal Sagoth can i just say that The Power Cosmic is my fave album followed by Battle Magic then Atlantis Ascendant. However if Battle Magic had the sound quality of TPC then it would be my fave. any always all BS is good apart from the first album which is just shit.

I wouldn't necessarily call them a dead band. They still play international festivals and they just came out with a tshirt and a flag design. Also Byron had posted this from his personal page but two months ago:

Byron Roberts Hail! Yes, some Bal-Sagoth albums will be re-released in limited edition packaging soon (but the album cover artwork will remain unchanged). More details soon!

Byron Roberts Yes, I've been collecting a lot of footage over the years from our various live shows since the 90s, and the intention is to one day release it all on a DVD. More information on this will be available in due course. Thanks!

I think just because they aren't planning on releasing another album anytime soon doesn't make them dead.

They were one of the co-headliners for the second night of Heathen Crusade II (2007). I was looking forward to seeing them, but they just seemed average. The cheesyness on CD didn't translate over to the live show. It probably didn't help that Skyforger had kicked major ass right before them. The crowd steadily diminished while they performed. Maybe they had an off night.

As for Bal Sagoth's draw, they didn't have much of one. They could have used the people from your smaller town in Indiana? :)

No they're not going to draw any more than say Falconer. But I still would by and large rather have them because they're an infinitely better band imo. :D

One of my favorite bands in metal.

Black Moon is a fucking awesome album, but they sold me on their nerdy cheesiness with The Power Cosmic. I could listen to that album all day. Love it.

I AM ANNIHILATION INCARNATE!

They were one of the co-headliners for the second night of Heathen Crusade II (2007). I was looking forward to seeing them, but they just seemed average. The cheesyness on CD didn't translate over to the live show. It probably didn't help that Skyforger had kicked major ass right before them. The crowd steadily diminished while they performed. Maybe they had an off night.

As for Bal Sagoth's draw, they didn't have much of one. They could have used the people from your smaller town in Indiana? :)

I blame shitty promotion.