Band are being fools about my portfolio

professorlamp

I are Joe
Nov 2, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
Recorded a 5 track EP for a local band, by far my best stuff. I asked permission to post a 20 second teaser clip of the whole EP on my page as part of my recent work and the band leader said no.

Does he actually have the right to say that?

his excuse was 'you can't post anything until we have it all copyrighted'
But copyright is essentially done as soon as the song is recorded anyway and I have all the stems and every single little detail of the song for anyone to prove otherwise.

Help back me up on this one?

I have no damn clue, the singer is just being really anal about it with no real knowledge of what hes saying :bah:

heres a brief chat with the guy:

Me : Hey is it alright if I post a teaser of the EP on my page?
Singer : Nah man sorry.
Me : okay, why exactly?
Singer: Don't wanna release anything online, We need to get it all copyrighted, published etc .
Me : What about after all tracks have been handed over and signed off, then not even a 20 second clip?
Singer: We will be releasing a single soon but nothing on net sorry man
Me: I'd like some recent work for my portfolio, this would really help me out and maybe even get your name out a bit?
Singer: Can't release anything until all copyrighted anyways.
Me : (I've given up by now) Okay cool...

Not really familiar with copyright laws but I feel like whatever intellectual property protection they are going to get they have already gotten upon finishing the songs... I dunno what they are waiting for in terms of copyrighting. Just post one of the clips that has your bass playing under it and if they find out and throw a hissy fit pass it off as "I wanted to post a clip of my bass skillz".

Recorded a 5 track EP for a local band, by far my best stuff. I asked permission to post a 20 second teaser clip of the whole EP on my page as part of my recent work and the band leader said no.

Does he actually have the right to say that?

his excuse was 'you can't post anything until we have it all copyrighted'
But copyright is essentially done as soon as the song is recorded anyway and I have all the stems and every single little detail of the song for anyone to prove otherwise.

Help back me up on this one?

I always thought whoever pays for the recording owns the copyright to the recording. Not the music, but that recording of the music.

Well no what I meant was , they already have the proof that they wrote and recorded the song because I have EVERY little thing. So if anyone were to take it up with them I could easily prove them wrong. So I don't have a clue what they're worried about.

No problem, think I may have found my workaround. There excuse for me not streaming it on my page was that 'the material wasn't copyrighted' but....

ahemm...

"When you write down your lyrics or record your own music, even on a USB key, you own a copyright and no one can steal it. As soon as the material is "fixed in a tangible medium of expression" it is copyrighted and protected.

As soon as you have a copyright, you can use the copyright notice which is written "©". You do not have to register with the Copyright Office in order to use this symbol."

Yeah that's the way I've understood it. The only thing that counts is if you can prove when something was made. At least that's what I was told, it's especially useful if your recorded/written with other people because then there are witnesses that can stand up and say so if you take someone to court for ripping you off.

As far as if they can say no to streaming, they can, since they own the recording (if they paid for it). But they have no reason to worry about copyright theft.

I usually don't post anything on my player untill the bands publish something.
Usually I post some teaser or song here, also without saying anything to the bands, but nothing on my site before the band releases something
I think there is nothing wrong about that....I've never seen Andy or anybody else posting some song online before the band they worked with releases the album

I usually don't post anything on my player untill the bands publish something.
Usually I post some teaser or song here, also without saying anything to the bands, but nothing on my site before the band releases something
I think there is nothing wrong about that....I've never seen Andy or anybody else posting some song online before the band they worked with releases the album

Pretty much agree with this, I say give it a few weeks to a month at most after they've released the track to the public, then just throw it up on your site anyway ;)