Using a remix on your audio portfolio

MindMunch

Jan 17, 2011
What´s your take on this matter?

For example, I´ve recorded some cool bands in the past and would like to add them to my portfolio. Now my mixing skills are much better than when I recorded them, and I could get a better mix using those tracks. I believe that a remix of those songs would show my present skill as an audio engineer much better than if I use the original version.

Another example. I´ve recorded a nice band but I don´t agree with all the mixing decisions they´ve made. I mean, stuff like the bass tone, vocal levels, etc, and I think that if I could put my own "cut" of the song it would be more representative of what can I do to future clients.

Obviously, in both cases I would ask permission for the bands, as the songs were released.

Do you think that "what´s done is done" or should I show "the best of me" by remixing them for my portfolio?

I don't see any reason this would be wrong. I mean, if you're remixing it yourself it would still be a representation of your own skill and you obviously want to put your best work out there. You may mention that it is an updated mix or something so they don't go and listen to the original and wonder what the hell is going on.

yeah if the band is cool with it why not, and def put something like [remix 2011] or so next to it
I'd also keep in mind to not mix them all at once not to risk to put out samish re-mixes