Ellie Goulding - Lights - ambient/metal remix.

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
Hey guys, here's a remix I did today on this song. It's not final yet, there's still stuff that I might change and the mix is rough, but I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Here's the original for those who are not familiar with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLGuRX_nLM

Update:
So, more than a year later... my band finally released its debut album and as a digital download bonus track we've recorded a cover of this song. It's based on the version I posted here with a few improvements, some of them based on the feedback I received here. First of all the mix/production is significantly better (hopefully), mixed by me and mastered by Jens Bogren (as was the rest of the album). Also, like Marcus suggested, I decided to spice things up a little guitar-wise, although I still kept it quite simple, and I also added a solo. And of course this time I didn't use the original vocals, they're performed by my band's singer so we had to change the tuning of the song. Anyway, here it is:

This bonus track is only included in itunes, amazon, spotify etc. and the reason behind this is that it turns out is much less a pain in the ass to handle the copyrights/royalties etc. through these digital stores than it is to do it your self.
If you liked that song maybe you could check out the rest of the album here:
http://psycrence.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt knew the original. The song has quite catchy melodies. I prefer your version to the original. Good job man.

Thank you guys for listening, glad you dig it.
I admit I expected a little more feedback. I guess I should've done a Djent/Breakdown remix ;).

Here's the vocal track:

It's a nice song, but I think due to the relative simplicity of the guitar work, the production is what it all hangs on. Vocals seem too loud in the mix to me, guitars aren't really cutting through enough, and the bass isn't making my balls rumble - which is what I'd like to be experiencing from something like this. Checkout 'Fallen' by Evanescence for a reference of what I'm talking about - specifically the single Bring Me To Life.

(God how I feel dirty even bringing up that album)

It's a nice song, but I think due to the relative simplicity of the guitar work, the production is what it all hangs on. Vocals seem too loud in the mix to me, guitars aren't really cutting through enough, and the bass isn't making my balls rumble - which is what I'd like to be experiencing from something like this. Checkout 'Fallen' by Evanescence for a reference of what I'm talking about - specifically the single Bring Me To Life.

(God how I feel dirty even bringing up that album)

I guess you have point. I used a bass synth instead of bass guitar and I'm still working out the balance between the instruments/vocals. I was going more for "ambient" than "ball rumbling" ;), I'm not sure at this point though.
Anyway, like I said in the first post I know the mix needs some work. I will probably post it in the "rate my mix" section at some point to get some help with it.

Wow, thx for introducing me to this awesome song. I love the original .....

Ok, listened a few times through, and first off, I love the synths and piano - but I gotta +1 Drew on the way too loud vox, way too soft drums, and most importantly the simplicity (and volume) of the guitars - I can only assume making them all simple sustained power chords was a stylistic choice on your part, but it's one I must fervently disagree with, cuz it just makes it sound like an Evanescence ripoff with a Bjork-wannabe on vocals (not a fan of those forced vocal inflections AT ALL, why can't anyone just sing normally :bah: ) Melodically it's a good song and especially chorus though, and I hear so much potential to really kick it off and get some awesome melodic counterpoint riffing and pounding drums in there; I know you were going for ambient, but I just hear...boring, sorry brotha (though I'm sure a revised mix wouldn't hurt)

For anyone who doesn't know btw, this here just scratches the surface of what the Greek mofo in question here can bring! :headbang:

(3:58 for the good stuff :D)

Haha, thanks for that Marcus, and thanks for taking the time to listen, I appreciate any constructive criticism.

Yes, I went with the "less is more" approach on this track on purpose and I guess the result is a straightforward catchy tune (like the original). I felt that the use of more intricate riffing would take away from the (boring) ambiance and the (bjork-wannabe) vocal performance/melody :p.
Personally, I really like the vocal performance on this song (and I fucking hate bjork btw).
About the mix, like I said it's not final. I tried to find the right balance but I think that the way the vocals track was processed makes it a little tricky to sit them in the mix (or it's because of my really poor mixing skills :)).
However, it seems that we will do a cover of this song with my band so I'll try to address these points on the official recording.

So, more than a year later... my band finally released its debut album and as a digital download bonus track we've recorded a cover of this song. It's based on the version I posted here with a few improvements, some of them based on the feedback I received here. First of all the mix/production is significantly better (hopefully), mixed by me and mastered by Jens Bogren (as was the rest of the album). Also, like Marcus suggested, I decided to spice things up a little guitar-wise, although I still kept it quite simple, and I also added a solo. And of course this time I didn't use the original vocals, they're performed by my band's singer so we had to change the tuning of the song. Anyway, here it is:

This bonus track is only included in itunes, amazon, spotify etc. and the reason behind this is that it turns out is much less a pain in the ass to handle the copyrights/royalties etc. through these digital stores than it is to do it your self.
If you liked that song maybe you could check out the rest of the album here:
http://psycrence.bandcamp.com/