Psycrence - A Frail Deception (Jens Bogren stem master)

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
UPDATE :

So our debut album was officially released today. Melodic heavy metal with some progressive elements, influenced by bands like Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Nevermore, Symphony X, Dream Theater. etc. Also, I should mention, in case you care, that the digital download version of the album (except bandcamp) includes a bonus track of a cover we did on "Lights" by Ellie Goulding. You can listen and/or buy the album in the links below. Any kind of feedback is really welcomed and appreciated.

Bandcamp
itunes
spotify

Links to buy physical copies here.

-------------------------

Hi guys, my band finally completed writing/recording/mixing/mastering our debut album, and it only took us 4 years :erk:. We still don't have any official release date (we're hoping pretty soon) but in the meantime we're releasing a short album teaser/trailer.

It was mixed by me and stem mastered by Jen Bogren who I know has a lot of fans in this forum and did an excellent job. I may post some before/after comparisons at some point if anyone is interested.

Cover artwork was done by Colin Marks of Rain Song Design.

PSYCRENCE_cover_small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a coincidence, I just showed a friend your Escalation CD the other day. I was one of the people you mailed them to a few years ago. :lol: Sounds great man!

Congrats man, everything I heared and saw up until now is amazing!
I already know now that this CD will rock my car for an extended period of time :headbang:

Thank you guys for all the kind words, I really appreciate it!

I like that kind of bass sound. Could you give some processing info on that?

Thanks man. The bass guitar used was a schecter stiletto extreme with EMGs and it's one track sansamp BDDI pedal, one track ampeg svx plugin, and one track through revalver MKIII (6505+) for the grit, all blended together. Waves L2 was used to squash it to hell.
I must say, though, that one thing that made a lot of difference was making my bass player hit the strings really hard.

So, at last I have an update on this, official release date is 25-04-2014.
You can order it here or here. It will be also available as a digital download, more details on official release.

And here's the first track of the album:

If you dig our music like our facebook page: www.facebook.com/psycrence

Did I hear someone ask for more???....

no?...uhh...this is awkward...

Well, here it is anyway, a lyric video for another track from our album. Probably the best song you'll hear all day... :p

Very good music man! I love synths but having them playing the entire song it´s a bit fatiguing IMO. In this second song, takes away some strenght to the chorus, even if they are quite low in the chorus.

Well, it´s a stylistic choice after all. ;)

Awesome vocals!!! Reminds me of Bruce Dick

Thanks! Yeah, the singer is a huge Bruce Dickinson fan and I guess it shows :).

Great guitar sound! Has the signature Bogren touch to it. Any info what was used? Processing?

Thanks, that's a huge compliment since I'm a big fan of his work. I actually used a couple of Bogren mixes as reference when mixing so it seems I did at least something right.
The guitars were recorded with a kemper using a 5153 profile. 2 tracks used a mesa recto 4x12 cab and 2 a marshall 1960A with V30, each panned left and right. I also used 2 different guitars, 2 tracks a schecter with EMG707 and 2 tracks a carvin with dimarzio crunchlab also both panned left and right.
As far as processing there's nothing special, waves NLS for saturation and just some waves C4 and EQ, and izotope imager to widen them up bit.
During stem mastering Jens obviously had access to the soloed guitar tracks and I know he also fiddled around with them a bit but he never got back to me on any details on processing when I asked.

It's great to listen to the 2 new Psycrence songs! Will get the album, for sure!! All I see (coverartwork) and hear is total fucking win!! :) Congratz, Kimon!

Thank you very much Felix! I really appreciate all your kind words. I hope you enjoy the album when you get it.

Very good music man! I love synths but having them playing the entire song it´s a bit fatiguing IMO. In this second song, takes away some strenght to the chorus, even if they are quite low in the chorus.

Well, it´s a stylistic choice after all. ;)

Thanks man. As far as the synths go, like you said, it's mostly a stylistic choice and a personal taste thing. I know there are riffs that have the potential to sound more powerful and aggressive on their own but my goal was always to try to combine that with atmosphere and melody. I guess most of the album is that way with constant synths in the background, even if a lot of times they're quite subtle, so it may not be as enjoyable to you, but I do hope you get the chance to listen to it, maybe wait to listen to it on spotify or something :). Thanks for listening and I do appreciate the criticism.