Band of the Day: Napalm Death!

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
So what is your favorite album by the Gods of Grind, eh?

Mine has to be Utopia Banished. Was the album that got me into metal, so I'm biased... but talk about unrelenting, blasting metal... yet every song has an identity, the band's actually got something to say (and I actually agree with most of it on this album since it's not mindlessly attacking capitalism this time around, and some of the songs like Distorting the Medium and The World Keeps Turning may sort of have that as the theme, but how can you not agree with the way they spin it?)... very powerful stuff.

I love newer Napalm more than the original stuff, although you can't deny their influence on metal! I LOVE Enemies of the Music Business. Killer tunes and an amazing production. Insane.

They're probably the best live band in the business too. I can't too see them here in Japan in January! I hear that the Japanese are CRAZY for grind.

Oh yeah, I Abstain is a killer tune!

F

Jim LotFP said:
Mine has to be Utopia Banished. Was the album that got me into metal, so I'm biased
Which begs the question: what the fuck were you listening to before you heard this?

That's some heavy shit to suddenly get into outta the blue... I worked my way through Sabbath, Zeppelin, NWOBHM and Thrash before I got into Death - and I'm still not sure what separates Death from Grind and Crust - fuck, I don't even know what Crust means. Is Grind not Death due to shorter songs and non-Satanic lyrics? I'll never figure this shit out.

Like jageorge72 - HC was the first and last ND I bought - though I've heard some stuff I dug since then, I just haven't been motivated to break out the wallet for whatever reason.

numbskull said:
Which begs the question: what the fuck were you listening to before you heard this?.

Well I don't mean to say that I never listened to metal before Napalm Death, or that I didn't own any albums, it's just that it never really meant anything to me until I hit Napalm Death. I was an avid MTV watcher. I listened to the radio. So all the radio stuff, I knew. I mean, the first albums I had my mother buy me were Weird Al in 3-D and Michael Jackson's Thriller. oooohhh scary. I also had some Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, etc. Mainstream stuff. When Enter Sandman got all over MTV, yeah, I liked it. Along with Nirvana and Pearl Jam and whatever the hell else started getting pushed around that time. But it was a distraction, nothing more.

Until the Triple Thrash Threat on MTV... Slayer (War Ensemble), Megadeth (Peace Sells), Napalm Death (World Keeps Turning)... and it was the Napalm that made me go WOW... got the cassette the next day... and that was it. My life as a productive citizen came to an end immediately.

numbskull said:
Like jageorge72 - HC was the first and last ND I bought - though I've heard some stuff I dug since then, I just haven't been motivated to break out the wallet for whatever reason.

HC isn't my favorite at all. The production sucks (they fly all the way to Florida to get that Leprosy sound and failed miserably), some of the songs are... er... have you ever read the lyrics to Unfit Earth?

You want some Napalm Death? Get the Complete BBC Sessions CD. Live in the studio of BBC 1. That's some damned power there.

have to agree on utopia banished it blew away everything
check out the mass appeal madness ep from around that time too
the tracks are on the latest double cd thing they put out which has loads of rare gear on there