Bands putting their own music on youtube

PatrickHoyt

The Darkitecht
Jun 3, 2007
Daytona, Florida
An interesting question was brought up while I was talking to a friend today.

"Do you think its ok that I put my band's music on YouTube?"

My response was sure, why not? I mean not everyone in the world has a social networking tool like MySpace or Facebook and i know many people that despise such networking tools all together. So why not reach a wider audience by putting it up and being able to link someone to YouTube rather than the dreaded facespaces out there?

Well the discouraging and somewhat brash response he receives from someone else way out of and far beyond the lower league I myself am a part of was much different.

Apparently he was met with a rhetorical "why do you need a label if you're just going to give your music away for free on YouTube??"

Now that i think about it i suppose it sort of makes sense, but then again i see way bigger and more established bands having their music up on YouTube on their own channels all the time.

Apparently he was met with a rhetorical "why do you need a label if you're just going to give your music away for free on YouTube??"

That's a terrible counter-question. Youtube is like a gigantic sampler disc. It's not even close to the same league as the things that a proper record label is.

Someone is going to put it up there eventually. It is inevitable. Might as well be you to make sure the video/art, sound quality, etc are up to your standards.

Someone is going to put it up there eventually. It is inevitable. Might as well be you to make sure the video/art, sound quality, etc are up to your standards.

Hey! you have a very good point! why leave the bootleg of WHATEVER up to some random person to upload? do it yourself and make sure it looks/sounds good!

Agreed!

Consider it advertisement. It's the MTV of the 21st century and it's free to post it.

My husband has guitar students in high school, and sounds like the teenagers dont watch tv, its all about the internet and getting everything instantly, minus well take advantage of what available and the price is right.

I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one that has this train of thought...I don't see why a record label lead would seemingly shoot down a band for having their music up on YouTube while exploring their options of getting a deal...

Better to put it up on YouTube than not having it played at all. Let's face it, how many can pay the massive amounts of payola it would take to put a song on radio? The idea is to get as many eyes/ears as possible to see/hear your work. Many will buy the CD. Many may even go see the show. But, if nobody hears it, does it make a sound?