band's sound on cd not as mixed..bad reviews what to do?

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
following problem.

a band that i recorded just released their cd.after having read a review that said "sound sux and has no balls" i checked the cd myself....
it's not my finalversion that's on it, sounds more like a ruff-mix i handed out.
don't wanna get a bad reputation, 'cause the booklet says "recorded , mixed and mastered by www.lsd-tonstudio.de (me)).
what do you guys think one should do in such a situation?
do you think it is enough to just put the "real" version on my page as a reference, so customers will see it differs from the cd-version, or is there anything else you'd recommend to do?

i know i should have doublechecked the cd they sent away, but that's too late, there already some thousand pieces out there.

thanks for your help

lsd

Wow, that realy sucks and sounds like a AE's nightmare!

Well, putting the sounds on the site is not a good idea because that might cause problems here in Germany. Talk about Gema and stuff.

I would ASAP call the Band/Client or whatever is your contact-person for that project and tell him/her exactly that what you did.

Aren't they interested in having the best possible sound on their release?

So they are on the "same side".

There are a few possible szenarios:

- the pressing plant made a mistake
[then they have to do a new pressing for free ASAP]

- The label or even the Band did some "aditional mastering stuff"
[then they ASAP should correct the credits]

- the band handed over the wrong CD - a preview instead of the Master
[well.... ]

- you handed out the wrong CD
[well...]

good luck!

brandy

Well this sounds like error on the band's part. I'm assuming you gave them a labeled copy of the final mix, right? If they just fucked up and sent the wrong one to be pressed - then you shouldn't feel at all guilty.

As for the mix, yes - I say put the final versions on there since that is a true reflection of the work you did on the CD. The band should cut their losses and make sure they get the remainder of the stock replaced with the correct version.

if they remastered it post final mix release sounds like your're hosed.

one thing I often do is mix in an occassional tone/beep on alpha/beta mix releases so they can't be used. the clients have been understanding and it helps/reminds them/me that it's a non-final mix.

kp-

Keiffer said:
one thing I often do is mix in an occassional tone/beep on alpha/beta mix releases so they can't be used. the clients have been understanding and it helps/reminds them/me that it's a non-final mix.
kp-

Haha, that's a nice way to tell the band that "beebs will be gone when you pay the bill". :cool:

Show me the money! :lol: