Basement Studio

AStacy2

May 19, 2006
Ohio
Due to a family emergency, I am going to be forced to move in a few weeks. The place I am going to be in is a lot smaller and the only place to record would be the basement. I have ~6 months of work lined up and need to take a completely unfinished basement (concrete walls and floors and completely empty) into something decent in about a week of work (lots of friends to help me though). The room is about 25ft by 30ft by 8 1/2ft. This room will be for tracking drums only as I will have a seperate control room/amp room which is already set up and treated. I am not moving here permently only for ~1 year. My budget would be ~$2000 (not strict, but this is not a permanent setup, don't want to go broke doing it) or so and one of the studios I work at is re-doing their place and gave me tons of old Auralex stuff. But I need to get the room in decent order before I even think about putting this stuff up.

What would you guys do for carpeting (have to put something down), ceilings and the walls? The basement also has some very minor leaks which I am worried about for the carpet. I also won't be keeping much equipment down here. I know this is probably a huge question but I know there are a few of you at least who have maybe done something similar to this. Point me in the right direction? I am not looking to set up the most amazing room, just something very useable here. I have recorded stuff in living rooms before that went on indie releases/radio. I am looking for something very functional sound wise and that looks pretty good at the same time (don't want to scare anyone away). Thanks for any help guys.

put as much 703 on the walls that you can afford, cover all the corners and the ceiling over the kit.

setup long ways with your mix position at 38% of the room (monitors one third of the way away from the front wall basically.

try pzms or condensors in omni in front of the kit low to the ground instead of overheads to avoid nasty comb filtering

Cool thanks guys. I wasn thinking about the 703 stuff and putting it up on all of the rooms walls and ceilings but I didn't know if it really called for it? What do you think? Any ideas for carpeting or something to put down on the floors? I've read a lot of stuff on Sayer's forum but I don't really have the time to build more than I have to plus it's not like I'm doing anything major anyways, just local radio and local indie label stuff in a non-permanent place.

I have very thin commercial grade carpet , so if it does flood I dont have to pull it up and deal with tons (literally) of wet carpet pad, just glued in carpet, if it gets wet, let it dry.
The 703 will cut out flutter echoes and comb filtering, which is what makes a small room undesirable to record drums in. not that it cant be done BUT if your budget allows (and it seems it does) theres just about nothing better you can than treat your room. you can allways makes gobos out of it and take it with you when you move

Also, I forgot to mention I do use SM81's for OH and a Rode NT5 for room from which comes a lot of my drum sound. I try not to trigger toms that much either, but when it calls for it I do.

Also, I will be selling a lot of stuff since I'm moving and in anticipation of a lot of medical bills.

I will sell most of it pretty cheap. PM me with how much you'd pay, I figured I'd tell you guys first because I have absolutely no room to take this stuff with me. So if no one buys it, it'll all be at a local GC in a week or so and I'll get about $75 from them in return and they'll sell it all for like 3k (hate the thought of that!). I'll consider any reasonable price really. All of the stuff is in good/mint condition really and used in a non-smoking environment.

3 Firepod's, Shure Beta 87a, MXL 992&993 set, Fender Squire Starter Pack w/ amp, Tama Rockstar 5 Piece w/ ZBT cymbals and stands, Mesa 2x12, Mesa 4x12 Oversized, Digitech RP80, Casio 3Tk-330 + stand, Yamaha F335 acoustic, Martin D16GT acoustic

Thanks guys.

sorry to hear that bro, I had to liquidate everything a couple of years ago for pennies on the dollar and I mean EVERYTHING, I kept my rg550 and my marshall and that was it. I'm talking 30 grand worth of gear to ebay. I needed cash quick (emergency) and unfortunately I knew I could turn my gear quick

the good news is, and it's hard to digest, but it is just stuff and you'll get it all back, maybe not as soon as you'd like but it can be done. good luck to you