Basic Monitor placement question

xFkx

gain induction
Mar 3, 2008
Poland
www.myspace.com
So this one will be a noobie question for sure, but I have close to no experience with acoustics or monitor positioning.

So the thing is, my monitors are placed on my desk, on top of some books and a layer of auralex foam.

The trouble is, I hear no subbass from these speakers, it sounds like everything below 90Hz is just hipassed, makes mixing the low end quite a challange.

But there is a way that I monitor the low end, I just have to go lie down on my bed, which is in the opposite corner of the room from the monitors. There I can hear nice fat bass, i'd say down to 30-40 Hz.

When I stand up and get closer to my desk, it sounds like someone is turning a knob on a hipass filter

This is really bothering me and I'd like to improve on the situation

Oh, the monitors are hs80's if anyone's interested.

thats more your room/placement than the monitors.
treat your room, then make sure that they are placed in an equilateral triangle.
best way to do this is to get a piece of string, attach it to the back of your listening chair, then pull it to above the tweeter on the right monitor and tape it down, also make a mark in pen of where it hits the speaker, go back and forth so you have 3 marks.

Then take the string from the back of the chair to the right monitor again, place above the tweeter (or in the middle ish on NS10s) and make sure that the mark is in the right place otherwise this will be useless.
Then take it over to the tweeter on the left monitor. move the monitors apart/forwards/back until the mark is in the same place as on the other.
Then finally take the string from the left monitor to the back of the chair again

Makes sure the marks are in the right places and move til they are.

Now if you sit in the chair, you can see if the monitor is pointing in the right direction, also stand above the monitors and move til the now taught string is straight with the tweeter.
there ya go. nicely lined up monitors