Bass EQ

I_Am_The_Fury

Feb 1, 2008
Switzerland/Colorado
I've been trying to get the bass track to really complement the track, giving it just the right amount of heaviness. So far, I've been able to really allow the bass to complement the guitars, filling in the lower frequencies, but I don't think it is sounding so well with the drums.

Do I need to drop some frequencies of the drums, and boost the bass in those frequencies? Does anyone have any good tips on fitting the bass nicely with drums? Thanks.

Depends on the actual sound of the source & the song, genre etc
Usually slight boost the bass at 70Hz & 300Hz. Kick drum slight boost 60Hz & 3-4 kHz
If sounding abit muddy, then I'll cut 300Hz from the kick & 60Hz for the bass. Whatever seems to work best

Chuck an EQ lowpass filter on the masterbus, and then again on some reference mixes. You'll be surprised at how little bass is in the bass guitar in most metal mixes, and it can help you out if you're not in a perfect monitoring environment. Making sure its played tight is very important too.

There are no specifics though, post a clip in the rate my mix forum for more feedback.