Bass level boost

Dreaded Harmony said:
GUYS,

On this new album are you going to pump the bass levels up some?

- Mike
The bass level will be pumped..

No but seriously, we are going to make every effort to have a much better all-around production this time. We'll be doing a number of things differently (recording wise) and are planning on mixing at Fascination Street (Kuling) studios in Sweden (Bloodbath, Katatonia, Soilwork, etc..).

I thought "No Reply" had such fantastic production already... Especially the guitar tone is pretty amazing. Now that it's mentioned, though, the bass ain't really very audible.

i was completely satisfied with the production on no reply except for the bass. also, the vocal track on "unending waves" was a little too high for my ears, but that's just personal taste.

MadTinus said:
Wouldn't call it fantastic, but more than sufficient and simply very fitting. You can hear that the maximum has been achieved with the (limited) means available.
I guess I would say that this describes how I feel about it. There are a lot of limiting factors for us in terms of recording. One of the most hadicapping is that there are no engineers anywhere around here that know the style of metal we play (let alone achieving it). So when we go into studios we basically have to stop the house engineer from fucking things up.
Budgets are always limiting unless you're a rockstar. It sucks for us especially I think b/c we are a really overdub intesive band so it takes us a long time to track. Barre does 6-10 guitar tracks per song and NR was like a 70 minute record-- you do the math. So anyway, like 90% of NR was recorded in my house for budgetary reasons and it was mixed at my place too. Barre and I were both working fulltime and spending another 40 hours a week recording, editing and mixing.
There are a lot of things on the record I wish I could have produced better, but I also realize that at the time I couldn't have worked any harder than I did. So I've come to terms with an ok production.
We did drop a good chunk of money on the mastering tho, and I think it's safe to say that we were all disapointed there.
Anyway, as jesse said we really want to step up the production of the second record as much as we can.

and are planning on mixing at Fascination Street (Kuling) studios in Sweden (Bloodbath, Katatonia, Soilwork, etc..).
Just dont let it be as low as Brave Murder Day!

I thought No Reply sounded pretty damn fine.

A group of guys I work with just went down to morrisound in Tampa and the mastered their demo there, and it sounded 1000% better.

Brave Murder Day was recorded at Dan Swano's Unisound Studio (closed). Fascination Street is where Viva Emptiness was recorded and where Opeth are recording their upcomming album :headbang: