Bass Tips Anyone?

Fuck metal bassists, you very seldom hear them clearly, and they mostly just play the roots of the lead guitar anyway. And most of them are guitar converts who don't really have a clue about the instrument.
There are exceptions, but to say it's cool to use a pick because all the metal guys do is a bad reason.

The_Harmathroditic_Ferret said:
you very seldom hear them clearly

Thats true, and I dont like it, but you still should learn both if you ttryout for a band or something and they expect you to use a pick.

As probably many said, learn to play with your fingers as well. Our band has a bassist that doesn't even want or tries to play with her fingers, which is so damn annoying... The rest of the band just love the sound of a bass played with fingers. So we're basically going to find someone else to play bass for us xP

By the way, practise will pay of big time. Over a period of time I've compared 2 guitarists. Both who just started, but one who practised a badass 5 hours a day and the other who did nothing or little. Well, you can hear the difference. The first one now plays in our band, he still has to learn quite a bit, but as a rhytm guitarist he's really good and he picks up most of the stuff in no time at all. I love the guy. He still thinks he practises to little, lol. =P

Montu Sekhmet said:
Thats true, and I dont like it, but you still should learn both if you ttryout for a band or something and they expect you to use a pick.

It's happened before. I was trying to hook up with this metalcore band a few months ago, I played em Black Dog, and Ironman, and a bunch of Maiden tunes which they hadn't heard, they said try it with a pick, I said absolutely not. They were trying to lecture me about how the guys in Slipknot and all the other bands use picks, and I'm like thats why they all suck. Then I started dissing em and I took my bass and walk out.

And whenever I go for vocal auditions, if I see the bass player using a pick, expect me to come down on him, and it's kept me out of some bands too.