Tips live playing anyone?

hadesdaman

New Metal Member
May 27, 2006
Has anyone got any tips for playing live in a band? I know quite a bit, but this is only my second gig so I thought I'd ask the dudes round here. We're prog metal/old skool metal, and we're playing to a mixed audience. I'm a bassist/co-vocalist.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :headbang:

Move around don't stay in one place.

try and learn how to pick while not looking so that you can give eye contact to the audience (unless you don't feel comfortable doing it)

headbang while you play.

that is all my young padawan

Just try and have a lot of fun. If you're divnig around the stage and looking like you're enjoying yourself the audience will lap it up and they'll start bopping too. Make sure you have a laugh and enjoy playing the set. If you make a mistake (which happens to everyone!) forget about it and try not to make it obvious that it even happened, chances are that the crowd didn't even notice.

Rock on Mate:headbang:

Playing live is an addiction. When I'm up there it's no different then a reheasal to me. I just fuck around and let the audience do the rest. I also sing much better live do to the incredible energy.

Make eye contact with both the audience and your other band members. Don't stand like a statue. If there's a part where you're not headbanging, try to strike a badass pose. Try to have some degree of consistency with your headbanging too - one of my weaknesses that I've seen in videos of my band is that I'll headbang furiously for the beginning of the riff, but then I'll stop after a few repeats, and it's noticeable. If you use picks, throw one out to the audience every now and then. Walk to the side of the stage that you don't usually stand at every now and then. Most of all, enjoy yourself.