Screamed Vocals - Recording Tips?

theroan

New Metal Member
Apr 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My band and I are finishing up a 5 song recording and we're finishing up with vocals. I was curious if anyone had any tips on how to compress, eq (other effects?) screamed baritone vocals. They range from death metal style lows to higher mid range. No real high shrieks. I'm using an SM-7 mic wise.

Any help would be appreciated.

We use logic if that helps.

Post clips in the Rate my mix/tone section! But for compression, I personally like a really fast attack and relatively quick release (.6 ms and 100 ms are my usual go-to's for individual track compression), ratio between 6:1 and 10:1, and threshold set to take off 10-12 dB, pretty basic stuff

I have heard some mixes when the singer stops screaming, the music goes up - then turns back down when the singer comes back into the mix. Is this ducking being processed, or something to do (badly) with compression??

Probably the doings of a master bus compressor, either just squashing everything too much or sidechained from the main vox track(s)

I like massive amounts of compression during the recording with screaming vocals, so that it sounds really solid, even if all the screams aren't equally loud in reality. Usually medium attack (10-50ms), medium release (100-300ms), 2-4:1 ratio but very low threshold, so that you get atleast -1dB attenuation with just normal speaking and about -6...-20dB attenuation with screams, that way the compression isn't as apparent, and it lets the clarity thru if you have a little slower attack. Then some more compression with plugins in the mix, so I usually end up with something like -30dB attenuation, something like this

I like massive amounts of compression during the recording with screaming vocals, so that it sounds really solid, even if all the screams aren't equally loud in reality. Usually medium attack (10-50ms), medium release (100-300ms), 2-4:1 ratio but very low threshold, so that you get atleast -1dB attenuation with just normal speaking and about -6...-20dB attenuation with screams, that way the compression isn't as apparent, and it lets the clarity thru if you have a little slower attack. Then some more compression with plugins in the mix, so I usually end up with something like -30dB attenuation, something like this

you mean compressing on the way in?

record with an SM7 compress on the way in with an 1176, depending on how much bawls the singer has, either 4:1 for someone who can scream their ass off or all buttons for a pansy, attack at 2 release at 6 input and output about at around 2 oclock ish. Job done

yeah, if you have a good compressor, hit it hard on the way in. I'm usually doing 8-12dB on a distressor and medium attack and release.
Then in the mix, add a load of high end and maybe 1-2.5k if they're not cutting through. Compress again if you still need more attitude, and then L1 to really level off the peaks. It's all about slamming the hell out of it.

yeah, if you have a good compressor, hit it hard on the way in. I'm usually doing 8-12dB on a distressor and medium attack and release.
Then in the mix, add a load of high end and maybe 1-2.5k if they're not cutting through. Compress again if you still need more attitude, and then L1 to really level off the peaks. It's all about slamming the hell out of it.

UUUoooUU :OMG: