Vocal Recording Technique Questions

Alexchapel

New Metal Member
Feb 7, 2011
Hey guys, I am tracking vocals for a metal band tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone could lend me some tips? The reason I ask is I know I have the right gear and could be getting better results than i have in the past. I just want very clear, articulate, and "in your face" style vocals. It will be all screaming.

I use an SM7B into a PreSonus Studio Channel pre, into a PreSonus Firestudio project.

Should I be compressing and EQing from the studio channel before it goes into the Firestudio project? I've just always been scared to do that because when it comes time to mix if I fucked anything up recording the vocals, it will be printed that way and I won't be able to change them.

Also any post processing tips would be great as well. Obviously compression, EQ, maybe a bit of saturation, any other tips?

compress on the way in so that you have a nice strong signal but your peaks are hitting no higher than like -8 or so. For EQ I would suggest nothing more than a high pass somewhere around 80 just in case the dude has a deeper or more resonant voice. Anything more comp & EQ-wise should then be done later in additional stages of mixing

That presonus channel strip isn't exactly going to be a 1176 or a Distressor so I'd keep it simple. Fast attack, fastest release, 3-5dB GR. Job done. I wouldn't bother with EQ - just use the presence bump and HPF on the SM7.