vocals?

tomrip

Sep 25, 2011
ok guys and gals, i finally have a great sound from my guitar, and it is time to work on vocals. I have purchased a rode ntk valve mic, but would like some tips or recommendations on how to set up to record vocals. like what chain do you guys recommend. Do i have to have a vocal preamp, or can you get a good sound without one? i have a presonus studio channel, anyone use that?

Make sure your room acoustics are alright. Hang up some moving blankets behind you and the mic, to reduce room flutter and ringing. Keep the mic about 1/4th to 1/3rd of the room away from the walls and corners.

As for vocal chain, try using multiple compressors in series. Two compressors with each doing half the compression duty sounds more natural than one doing all of it. Typical chain might be: EQ (hi-pass) -> Comp -> Comp -> EQ -> Delay -> Reverb

ok guys and gals, i finally have a great sound from my guitar, and it is time to work on vocals. I have purchased a rode ntk valve mic, but would like some tips or recommendations on how to set up to record vocals. like what chain do you guys recommend. Do i have to have a vocal preamp, or can you get a good sound without one? i have a presonus studio channel, anyone use that?
you can get vocal presets here. http://chasingdreamsproductions.bigcartel.com/

As already said, make sure to have the less natural verb as possible. Use whatever helps such as thick blankets around the mic (using a mattress behind the singer does wonders if you're on a budget). Use a pop filter, that's important. Also you don't have necessary to be very close to the mic, just take time to find the sweet spot for each part. Don't push the mic pre to much. And the most important thing by far: get a killer singer.

I suggest to not use any processing during tracking (except for monitoring of course once you're ok with what is described above). I tend to use a Desser (to kill/control harsh sibilance) before EQ (to add air and definition). Saturation is highly recomanded, compression then limiter. That's a basic chain. There are tons of threads about vocal processing here (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/the-in-depth-vocal-mixing-thread.499638/). Use search function.

Hope it helps!

I'm sure in the past two years he has worked on his vocal recordings. (You should advertise your stuff in the merch section btw.)

I was just writing the same, still I didn't know about that post Heabow, might be cool to read it, thanks for the heads up!