Sound card and preamp for recording (CD release)

Feb 8, 2009
Sweden
www.crystallight.se
Hi,

Need some tips on a good recording chain for mainly guitars (that will be re-amped), but also at least backing vocals and maybe lead vocals will be recorded as well. Today I have a M-Audio 2496 and a Studioprojects VBT1 preamp and a Presonus Audiobox card.
I get a decent sound for demos from my current setups but would like to step it up a notch to secure good quality on the recording.

I do not need a bunch of channels, 2 is enough.

My budget is appr 1000-1200 Eur (changed now to correct amount, had written the wrong amount in original post)

with 100 eu i don`t thing that you can buy better soundcard or preamp that you already got. I mean the 2496 or the
audiobox it`s a decent soundcard and the VTB1 is an ok product for the price. So stay with these units untill you have more money to invest.
As an idea you can spend these 100 Eu`s on a dedicated DI box for the guitars, or you can just use the HI z input on your VTB1.

mac or pc, are you running pt's? with that you can get a apogee duet if you're running on a mac with a countryman di, won't get much better than that to be honest.

+1 on the fireface.

btw i also have the vtb1, and it's a decent preamp especially for the money. the rme pre's are cleaner, whereas the vtb1 can be nice with the tube warmth thing especially on vocals. the rme conversion will be a HUGE step up though.
for 1k, you could look at an used ff400 and something like the fmr rnp.

the 1200 should get him all of the three items I listed. But I would still rather use it for new monitors and acoustic treatment

I have just made my "studio" a bit bigger so I am planning to make acoustic treatment for the vocal/singing area of the studio and a bit in the controlling area as well. However, I will not mix the record. Only do tracking here, which is why I am thinking of placing most of my budget on preamp and sound card. Or do you think that this is wrongly prioritized?

I am very greatful for the tips!!

that debate is best left for gearslutz, and it will continue to be fought with many innocent lives being lost every day over it for ages. The whole thing about which will give you a better sound is kind of all bull shit, just do it all and you'll be covered. But once you think about it you're better off doing the treatment first since without a decent room to listen in it doesn't matter how nice your gear is if you can't hear how it actually sounds or if you're picking up garbage tones in the nice preamp. build some diffusers and bass traps, stay away from that acoustic foam crap...

that debate is best left for gearslutz, and it will continue to be fought with many innocent lives being lost every day over it for ages. The whole thing about which will give you a better sound is kind of all bull shit, just do it all and you'll be covered. But once you think about it you're better off doing the treatment first since without a decent room to listen in it doesn't matter how nice your gear is if you can't hear how it actually sounds or if you're picking up garbage tones in the nice preamp. build some diffusers and bass traps, stay away from that acoustic foam crap...

Yeah, I agree, and I am also doing some acoustic treatment..but still want a new pre amp and soundcard