Guitar Recording: DI QUESTION

Ganks

Nov 1, 2009
Okay, so I just got POD FARM working, and I really want to start using it.
However, I'm kind of stumped on the best way to handle my input.

Here's my different setups:

Guitar > PODxt > Presonus FireStudio > POD FARM
Guitar > Presonus FireStudio > POD FARM

Okay, so I've tried both of these chains, and here's my problem:
I'm not sure if i'm doing this correctly.

Bascially..
When I record through the PODxt, I can't find a setting that sounds absolutely clean.

And when I go straight into my preamp, it seems to be really unstable.

IE (vocals without a compressor)

Do you guys fix this with a compressor on your DI's, or what?
I'm confused. Any advice?

Or do I need to supply more information?

If you were to use your PodXT, likely the best way to do it is to get the Clean DI using the PodXT's usb out. Haven't tried it, but if you need to use the method you speak of, then bypass the amp and cab in the PodXT. Don't try to use a clean amp.

If you're able to monitor via PodFarm in realtime, I'd go direct to the Firestudio on an instrument in. If by 'unstable' you mean that there are big spikes and little spikes, well that's what a guitar DI looks like. No need to compress. It's not suppose to look really even.

Best way is to use a dedicated DI box. I use a Radial Pro DI with the thru output going to my PodXT for monitoring purposes.

I'm able to monitor in real-time through POD FARM, so I guess I will stick to doing direct in.

I was concerned about the "big spikes" and "little spikes" as I've never recorded a DI before. So I was hoping that it was supposed to look like that. :)

Haha.
Thanks for your help!

Any other information you can give me about recording DI's?
I can't get a DI box right now because of cash limitations.

DI's are super dynamic generally, so what your finding is a good thing. If your running your guitar into one of the instrument in's you should be getting the right signal, might not be the uber best way to capture a DI but it should be fine, as long as it's not clipping for whatever reason.

If your signal isn't clean, it could be because of hot pickups, because the sound of your pickups and how fresh/old your strings are make a dramatic difference in how a DI sounds (as well as your actual playing abilities). Otherwise don't worry, because your DI tracks should be decent enough
There's no need to monitor in real time if you have a POD, you can just use the POD to monitor externally and then apply POD Farm on the guitar track AFTER you have laid down the DI track, as this will ensure you get a minimal of latency

I notice when i DI that my PUP is normally too hot so the pre on the interface is peaking (on an instrument input with gain right down). So i turn down the vol pot on the gtr....but just feels mmm wrong...like i wont be able to capture everything the gtr should output..Is this ok? What is the alternative? Does a DI box get round this?

How exactly do I monitor with the POD, whilst still getting a clean DI track?

I've got a PODxt.

Sorry for the noob question.

its in the control panel under line 6 midi devices on the second tab change the drop menu to send clean guitar then you monitor with the pod and get the di in your DAW

its in the control panel under line 6 midi devices on the second tab change the drop menu to send clean guitar then you monitor with the pod and get the di in your DAW

Fuck yes! :)

That makes things SOOOO much easier!
Thank you so much!

I've changed the setting to "Send Clean Guitar", but in my DAW, it's still getting the processed guitar.

Do I need to change something in my DAW?
:(

Bump.

Can someone help me with this?

I've got the settings on the Line 6 Midi Devices set to "Send Clean Guitar".

And I'm going through my PODxt > Interface > DAW (Reaper)

The armed track is still getting the processed signal from the POD though.

Advice?:erk::erk:

you should just go straight into the instrument in (either 1 or 2, 3-8 are line-ins) on the firestudio. pod farm should be low enough latency to monitor with. you'd do just fine to not even use the pod, having it just act as a dongle for podfarm.

that being said:

a nice DI (countryman) would give you a cleaner DI, and most (all?) DI boxes have a thru-out that you could use to split the guitar signal and also send to your pod. so you could use the pod to monitor, completely independent of the DAW if you wanted, while tracking the DI box's instrument DI in your DAW for use with podfarm. this is the most ideal scenario.

^ this is the way to go. I tried recording my DI signal with the toneport and its just weak and muddy.
I compared it to a few DI tracks i got off the forum and they sounded so much cleaner.

Yeah, I need to get a DI box, but money is an issue right now.

It's definitely on my list of things to get!

Along with a 5150, TubeScreamer, SM7B, Snake, Power Cable for my headphone amp!
(More of a personal checklist. I know a lot of you don't care. :p)