Bass Track help- Pops/Clicks

Vinny

Jun 4, 2009
New Braunfels, Texas
I keep getting these clicks/pops on my bass tracks, mainly when the bass comes back in after a trade-off or pause. I'm almost positive its the compressor kicking in (I'm running two instances- Standard Logic Pro comp and the CLA Bass) on the clean track (it still does the pops when the distortion is disabled). What's even more mind-boggling, is its not because of how the track is cut and edited, because I'll have the beginning of the take like a full measure before the bass even comes in and it still does the pops/clicks. I tried using the Waves Click plug-in (which has been my go-to for pops until just now) but that doesn't do anything and just distorts the track. Any help on how to eliminate this is appreciated.

Someone on here was discussing this same issue I think....

joshua wickman or maybe Ermz? Something about Protools and how it was making a glitch or pop after the punch in.....

Really can't help you much here man. The only time I ever really had problems with pops was because of a crappy interface and my network adapters interfering.

have you done fades? Even if you move the mesure back a whole mesure, if you punched in as soon as you started playing whatever reference volume the bass was at will go instantly there creating a quick rise time, which is producing the click. Fading the initial transient by about 5ms usually takes care of it.

What do you mean by fades?
Even when I have the take start before the bass actually comes in (meaning putting in the empty space during the count-in) it still does it.
For guitars I just match of the soundwaves to where there is no pop and is still on time. But I can't do that on bass because it mainly does pops after a silence (like for trade-offs)
I'm in Logic Pro by the way.

I just had to resort to automation. I automated the volume to come in mid-peak of the first transient...
It doesn't get me the punch I need but its a lot better than hearing two bricks being smashed together... lol.
Would still love to know a solution to this though.

What do you mean by fades?
Even when I have the take start before the bass actually comes in (meaning putting in the empty space during the count-in) it still does it.
For guitars I just match of the soundwaves to where there is no pop and is still on time. But I can't do that on bass because it mainly does pops after a silence (like for trade-offs)
I'm in Logic Pro by the way.

to do fades, click on the track you want the fade to be on in the arrange window. then look in the inspector on the left, you'll see "fade in" and "fade out" fade them by 5ms (just type in 5 and hit enter) where you did your punch and there shouldn't be any pops

Yea that used to happen to me, In cubase theres a FADE function i usually type something from 3-5 ms it depends how fast i want it to release. just look around you should be able to find it most DAW have a fade function.