Bass tuning half step up

EOC

Feb 28, 2011
DILEMA!!!!

In my band we use two diferent tunnings (B and C)and i have 2 5-string basses. (a btb and a spector) What i use right now is the spector on original tuning (B) and tune the btb half step up (all strings) is this crazy?!?!

Thanks in advance!

DILEMA!!!!

In my band we use two diferent tunnings (B and C)and i have 2 5-string basses. (a btb and a spector) What i use right now is the spector on original tuning (B) and tune the btb half step up (all strings) is this crazy?!?!

Thanks in advance!

I think its probably ok but any higher might start to fuck it up.

+1. Just string w/ 120's or 125's on the "C" bass. On another note, what's so important about that half step difference that if makes it worth carrying twice as many guitars?

. On another note, what's so important about that half step difference that if makes it worth carrying twice as many guitars?

It is kind of a pain in the ass, but the first reason is because "C" was pretty high for our vocalist and second because it gives us more variety of keys using open strings (there are a lot of albums were 90% of the songs are in the same key! and coming from a classical background i like to organize the keys of the different songs in a structural way)

I thought about the capo, but never tried it yet.

Thanks for all the opinions guys!

Or, just keep it in B. I saw Jari Kainulainen (ex-Stratovarius) with Evergrey two years ago, the guitarists had 3 or 4 tunings and he just played one bass. :)

I would do the capo, in fact I do it all the time, in my cover band we have most songs in E and I´m in D, but we have a couple songs in D so I just remove the capo for those songs. Of course if you have two basses more power to you, it even gives you a cooler on stage image as stupid as it sounds. I´ve done the 5 string in C before, it works fine, I would only do the low G if I was actually gonna use it, but I can´t stand the sound of a low A so I doubt I would ever use it even lower.