Tuning 5-string bass UP will ruin neck?

Djentkitty

May 23, 2011
im getting a 5 string bass(my first ever bass) next month and on guitar i usually play in anything from drop A to drop C. so will tuning a 5 string bass up to drop c(CGCFA) ruin the neck?(as theres going to be more tension). i dont want to get lighter gauge strings because im still going to play in drop A every now and then.

thanks

Totally depends on the strings caliber. I personally prefer 110 as C, 85 as G, 65 as C, 50 as F and something like 32 as A. It's really hard to find the 110, though. I've only met Skull strings and (hope I'm not mistaken) Daddarios.
But tuning the 130-50 pack to drop C - well even if it won't hurt the bass, I can't imagine the playability.

im getting a 5 string bass(my first ever bass) next month and on guitar i usually play in anything from drop A to drop C. so will tuning a 5 string bass up to drop c(CGCFA) ruin the neck?(as theres going to be more tension). i dont want to get lighter gauge strings because im still going to play in drop A every now and then.

thanks

derp

You're out of your mind if you think you're going to be able to use the same set of strings for Drop A as Drop C without any problems. You should use appropriate strings for the tuning, period.

If you tune the 5 string to A standard (ADGCF), you could drop the D string to C for Drop C, while still having the low A (ACGCF). If your Drop A songs aren't playable for you with that tuning, you pretty much just need to pick the tuning you want to use and stay with it.

i did something similar not too long ago
had a 4 string bass and also wanted drop c, however the strings that were on it were kinda flubby on that tuning
i had a spare 5-string set lying around from the 5-string bass i had before
i decided to put the lower 4 strings of that set on it
it worked, but the playability was insane, and the action got significantly higher like 1cm or something
tone was ok though, but i wouldn't do it again

On my 4 bass tuned in C, I use the 4 low strings from a normal 5 string set, because they are... supposed to be tuned to C anyway. It's too hard to find here strings big enough without paying them too much so I've found this trick pretty useful. I've already done what Josh described : tuning up or down a little and using the upper strings as the low strings (if my sentence makes sense to you).

You should use appropriate strings for the tuning, period.

This. FWIW I would use a .145 for A and a .125 for C. Seriously.

I think it's strange how many guys in here just through some strings .020+ bigger on a bass and don't expect to adjust the bridge height, truss rod, intonation and/or nut. That's a big difference.

Just use a standard heavy gauge 6 string set and don't use the lowest string. Also for the poster that said they used the bottom 4 strings from a 5 string set, try just using the low B, skipping the E, then just A D G. Works much better.

I think it's strange how many guys in here just through some strings .020+ bigger on a bass and don't expect to adjust the bridge height, truss rod, intonation and/or nut. That's a big difference.

.145? What brand do you use, if you don't mind me asking? I used to use .130 for A cause in Venezuela it was really hard to find any other gauge, and logically the A string sounded like dog turd, now I bought a pack with .135 and I'm putting them on this week to see how it goes. Do you recommend me to go heavier or do you think that can handle it?

derp

You're out of your mind if you think you're going to be able to use the same set of strings for Drop A as Drop C without any problems. You should use appropriate strings for the tuning, period.

If you tune the 5 string to A standard (ADGCF), you could drop the D string to C for Drop C, while still having the low A (ACGCF). If your Drop A songs aren't playable for you with that tuning, you pretty much just need to pick the tuning you want to use and stay with it.

I think this is the best advice, I don't think that extra high string will really be needed. If you only have one bass, this is the way to go

For drop C I was using Fender .125 5-string set on my 4-string basses that I have and skipping the E-string (used only the B, A, D and G strings) and it worked fine, but only until recently, since I got my custom Sandberg bass that I ordered for drop C tuning, I realized that even with the standard .105 strings it came with, it played very nice and solid and my guess it's very important that the neck construction matches the tuning.

I thought that was weird too. If you put substantially thinner or thicker strings on a bass or guitar, the instrument needs to be setup again!

I'm using a .145 for a low Ab on a 5 string in Ab-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb. It's just slightly loose, but I don't think I could deal with any bigger than that.

thanks guys, i guess ill just stick with drop a tuning and get those heavy gauge strings, since i mostly play shitty deathcore riffs nowadyas anyways :lol: and if i want drop c ill just use the top 4 strings for that.

just one last quick question; is it ok to have a standard tuned bass with a dropped tuned guitar?

bass = B standard (5 string)
guitars = drop B (6 string)
like that ^

seems kind of wired to me, i don't know much about how do bass, just getting started soon :D

Nothing wrong with that at all. Personally I like to keep basses in standard tunings unless you need to use open strings. It just feels more balanced that way in terms of tension and string gauge IMHO.