Recommend string gauge for drop G

azistenostora

Feb 9, 2009
Tatooine (aka Milton Keynes)
All right, the old fart that I am, I've never tuned lower than drop C. I was listening to Reptile from Periphery the other day to see what the kids do these days and the tuning is G G C F A D apparently. I was like "ok, that's pretty low on the low G string".
Obviously my regular 10 strings don't really cut it and just sound like a we fart.
So any tips on what string gauge one should use for Octave-drop-G (or whatever it's called) tuning?

Keeping in mind the limitations of a 24.75" :) scale length, I'd recommend at least a 12-60 set, if not 13-64 or 14-70.

Even 14-74 or 14 80 would probably work.

People use a HUGE range of strings for higher tunings like Drop C on 24.75" guitars ((52-70), so Drop G/G# is going to be even harder when it comes to finding the perfect set of strings.

For reference, I like 9.5-56 to 10-58/60 on a 27 inch scale 7 string tuned from Drop A( down to Drop G, so I'd probably recommend 12-64 or 13-70 for you.

tl;dr: idk just go 12-14 for the thinnest( string and 64-80 for the thickest
cookie clicker

Thanks, and welcome to the forum!

The problem is that everything beyond 10's on the higher strings is way too stiff for me. 10's work great for the higher 5 strings, it's only that low G that was causing trouble. I think a 14-80 string gauge would be harakiri my fingers too :D
I agree that 24.75 inch scale lenght isn't ideal for this kind of stuff but at least I have a valid excuse to get a baritone!