bass string gauge

Massili

Jun 3, 2005
I dont know much about bass strings so i come to here to ask it...

Tuning a 5 strings Bass for a drop Bb, what would be the gauge recommended? I played on the bass of my bandmate and felt that the 5th string is a bit flabby and the others i felt that are ok, confortable, not sure but i think he uses the standard string gauge for 5 strigs bass... well the 5th is tuned down half tone and the others tuned up a half tone... we wanted to tune it to B drop, but we ended up not doing this, the tension on the 5th would be ok, since it's the B string but the others would be with too much tension...

Id like some help on this...
thx

I am currently using 0.130 gauge on my four strings and my band tuned to C# standard i.e C# - F# - B - E. The thick gauge/tighter strings helps to keep the low rumble even when we tuned to dropped B i.e B - F# - B - E.

I used these when recording the song "Dark Fiber". I recorded with the .128s (drop A), but most of our 5-strng songs are in B-standard, so I use the .125s.

Edit: I play on a 35" scale. Also just got a new bass with S.I.T. strings and they're not too bad, yet.