how do tune a 5 string bass ¯\(°_o)/¯

Oliver Lukacs

New Metal Member
Mar 25, 2009
Ok, this might sound stupid so bare with me, I am a bass noob. Anyway... I am a guitarist and don't have a clue about bass but I bought a 5 string bass because I have to lay down some bass lines.
My dilemma: my guitars are tuned to drop C. How do I tune so I won't have difficulties playing my parts?
I thought I tune from standard B-E-A etc. a half step up so it will be like C-F-A# etc. Does anyone have a better idea? Also if I do it this way, what gauge would you use? 40's, 45's or 50's?

Thanks

Yeah you should tune up. Tuning lower than G# and still having some string tension is impossible unless you use those special strings Warwick produces for tuning in F#. Those can probably get you down to E (an octave lower than the lowest E on a 4 string) but I don't see why anyone would ever want to tune that low.

What I do with my 5 string is tune the standard 4 strings do drop C and ignore the 5th string. (It's a perfect thumb rest when playing finger style.) Makes translating your guitar riffs to bass much easier. I only use the 5th string if I'm working on a song that I use my 7 string guitar on.

If you tune up like you said to C F A# you're going to clash with the guitar which is tuned to C G C.

Yeah, if you're a guitar player, make it easier for yourself and tune the top 4 to drop C and ignore the B string, or maybe tune it down to G or tune it up to C so it makes a little more sense when you want to use it. That's what I would do.

Ok, thanks for all your suggestions. I will probably tune half a step up and use 45's. I just wanted to make sure I am not doing anything stupid.
PhilR: could you be a be a bit more specific what you mean by "same notes as guitar"? Do you mean tune the lowest string to C, then G-C etc.? That is hard to do without getting ugly string buzz and it sounds like shit. Trust me, that was the first thing I tried as it would be the easiest for me as a guitarist.

best thing to do with tuning up is a standard 40 gauge 5string set, otherwise tuning up is gonna wreak havok on your neck...

i normally just tune down, either keeping the 5th string as a B or dropping it to G (which also requires the right strings and some neck adjustment)

Yeah you should tune up. Tuning lower than G# and still having some string tension is impossible unless you use those special strings Warwick produces for tuning in F#. Those can probably get you down to E (an octave lower than the lowest E on a 4 string) but I don't see why anyone would ever want to tune that low.

which strings are those?
i cant find them on the warwick site

They should be listed as the black label long scale Dark Lord strings. They were made especially for the Dark Lord bass in F# they put out some time ago. The lowest string is a massive .175" so you'll probably need to adjust your nut to make them fit, but then you should be able to provide your band with some nice earthquakes ;)

Ok, thanks for all your suggestions. I will probably tune half a step up and use 45's. I just wanted to make sure I am not doing anything stupid.
PhilR: could you be a be a bit more specific what you mean by "same notes as guitar"? Do you mean tune the lowest string to C, then G-C etc.? That is hard to do without getting ugly string buzz and it sounds like shit. Trust me, that was the first thing I tried as it would be the easiest for me as a guitarist.

Tune to the same notes as the guitar, just an octave lower. If you're suffering string buzz then obviously your bass hasn't been set up correctly or you're using strings of too light a gauge. Bass isn't a guitar, you need to take the physics of the instrument into account. you will likely need a higher action simply because the strings have a higher vibration travel.