drop A...no need for a bass guitar anymore!?

With my 27" scale Gibson LP Baritone I play in drop A and it's no problem at all. With my 30" scale OLP I can tune down to the bottom of the ocean and it's still playable. ;) Bass is necessary though to make the wallpapers come off.

Me not being the bass player, i have my old Ibanez SoundGear bass tuned to drop A just fine, and it's a 4-string.

Just throw a 5-string set on it, throw away the high string. Or put it on your guitar, cause i use 70 gauge string for Drop A on a 7-string anyway! Mwa ha ha!!!

my fretless 5er from rondo had tons of trouble holding down a low B, much less an A. was way too farty and there was no definition or clarity. my fretted 4 (ibanez gsr) holds a low B fine, but the low A gets too farty (probably because of my shitty practice amp rather than the bass itself). it's still pretty tight etc, just sounds like shit. I'm guessing my poor 10w 10" practice amp can't handle it, haha.

I write most of my songs in B or drop A, and I've got an Ibanez BTB that has always done the job just fine. It's not just a 5-string, but an extended scale 5-string, so drop A is nothing. I use TabIt to write all of my music, so I don't actually play it when I write it, so I'm not sure about the string tension until it's time to record. I've written some songs in G standard that translated well to audio, but at drop F, the BTB starts to really bottom out and falter. I found that playing the drop F songs in drop A sounds better anyway.

I bought a G&L 5-string recently, though, so if the G&L can't handle the tuning, I don't use the tuning. That's the rule for me nowadays.. the capabilities of the best-sounding equipment become the limitations.

Yeah, but the Meshuggah bass is in the same octave as the guitar, so it's actually tuned up a half-step.

THATS SOME DAVID LYNCH SHIIT
Really?

Doesn't he us a 5-string, tho? I was always under the impression he tuned the 5-string just half a step lower, to match the 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, and 3rd strings on the guitar, only an octave lower.

*edit* ah, I just double-checked that... They do tune the same octave as the guitars... I wonder how he plays the older songs with the 7-strings.. same octave as well?

This question is aimed mainly for basists: When your band guitarists play at B-Drop(example), do you play also at B-drop, or do you transpose all riffs to B-standart?

Just get a Warwick Dark Lord - .175 on the low F# :lol:

483594jpg.jpg

Yeah Between The Buried And Me.

I think it's just the vocals. This dude has a REALLY similar character to his voice as the guy from BTBAM.

fucking right
this dude sounds like the bastard child of tommy rogers and randy blythe
fucking sick