drop A...no need for a bass guitar anymore!?

FIXXXER

¯\(°_o)/¯
Feb 18, 2008
Germany
i just played a little bit drop A...for the first time...
damn, this sounds really huge!:loco:

then i tried to tune my bass down to A...no way, sounds shitty.
not i am considering buying a good 5 string and tune it to A....or...just leave the whole bass guitar stuff out of my recordings. what do you guys think!?
bass guitar needed@dropA?

cheers
S.

yeah tuning bass that low is pretty hard, I hear ya.
you could try recording the bass at C or something and then pitchshift the rest. I wouldn't ditch it at all.
maybe highpass it a bit more so it doesn't fight too much with the guitars if anything...

hope it helps :)

Yes you definitelly need bass guitar. The low ends have to come out from the bass, not from the guitar, also if you're tuned very low.
Remember that guitar is a mid instrument and the bass a low instrument

thanks for the fast replies guys!:)

do you have a suggestion for a good 5-string bass!?
the only problem is, i am lefthanded and need a left hand bass :(

one thing i forgot to say, i don't want to tune
down because it's cool and evil and stuff,
i really just like the sound! :D

Just get a set of Power Slinky 5's and don't use the top string, you can go down to ADGC on a 34" scale bass with ease. My back-up is set like that and the intonation is fine.

the problem is, if in do that i can't play "normal" stuff anymore,
a second bass guitar has to be bought! :D

I am looking as well. Anyone have any good recommendations for a 5 strings bass? Maybe from Rondo Music because I just bought an Agile Baritone and it beats out my jackson by a long shot in terms of build and sound...the agile is $600 less!!

I'm in drop-A, and it definitely sounds lame without a bass. I'll have to ask my brother what gauge he's got on the low string... He's playing a Schecter Diamond Series Studio-6 and there haven't been any issues with it being able to hold the tuning.

God, you people and your subterranean tunings :lol: Bb is the lowest I'd ever wanna go! (and I stick with C-standard most of the time)

Heavy strings on the bass and 35" scale. That low A is the lowest note on a piano; it's more than totally audible. The problem you run into with really low frequencies like that is finding something that'll reproduce the fundamental. There's plenty of harmonics to give it definition still though.

Hell, you can get a 39" scale bass tuned to octave E if you really want. :lol: