Drop B Bass!

1 string more or less does no effect on the string tension (same on 6 and 7 string guitars..) what you need is a longer scale, but you should be fine with thicker strings. 0.130 or 0.135 sounds good to me ;)

I've been using a six string Ibanez with a 24.75" scale tuned to B for a couple of years now. Thing is as I'm getting into more serious recording and want to do multitracked parts etc. it's just not cutting it. I can't get the damn thing to tune the same two takes running, especially when I'm playing slower, chordal parts.
I'm now seriously considering laying out for a seven string for the extra flexibility, as I like to fiddle around with tunings, and the extra stability of an instrument designed to have a low B string (!).
There are plenty of metal players who have baritone tuned six string guitars and four string basses. Just bear in mind that many of them have access to great guitar techs and the time and funds to get their setups right, and then consider how best to spend the budget you've got.

Hm. The bass player in our old band got a 5-string ibanez, it was ok. The singer, who played bass before he took up the vox, used 5-string sets on his 4-stringer, I have his "crappy" bass here and it's amazing, still tuned to Bb and it plays lovely, much better than the 5-string ibanez. Wich is really strange since the 5-stringer has a longer scale :p

I've got a crappy old Ibanez acoustic from about 1985, that sounds better than the $1500 Martin I had before it. No joke.

I'm not boosting Ibanez stuff by the way, just saying.

Here's the one thing I've learned about guitars in 15 years. Unless you're getting custom or hand-built stuff, then it is simply not the case that spending more gets you a better instrument. I've had US Deans and Fenders that were total crap, and enjoyed playing MIM stuff.

I wouldn't ever buy a guitar you haven't played first, and if you don't know what you want then I think it's maybe better to get something that covers more bases than waste time and money on modifying something less suited to the purpose.

Thread back from the motherfucking dead!

My band tunes to Bb and I'm really thinking of trying the detuned four string route. My main concern is the shorter scale, but if I have it properly set up at the factory will I have much to worry about? I currently play a five string but I never touch the highest string and feel a bit lame for it. A four string seems like it would be more fun live, and would open up more options selection-wise.

Fixing to order a new bass and just want to explore my options.

Thread back from the motherfucking dead!

My band tunes to Bb and I'm really thinking of trying the detuned four string route. My main concern is the shorter scale, but if I have it properly set up at the factory will I have much to worry about? I currently play a five string but I never touch the highest string and feel a bit lame for it. A four string seems like it would be more fun live, and would open up more options selection-wise.

Fixing to order a new bass and just want to explore my options.

Bb is perfectly fine with a 34 inch scale bass

I use a Fender Jazz tuned BEAD in my metal band. I use a five-string set minus the top string. The nut will need work to accommodate the heavier strings, but yes, it works fine.

I would have said, longer scale neck, buy a 5-string, get the neck set up, use a 5-string set without the .45

Exocaster: Nicely done!!

JBroll + Jeff: Nicely done!! Its like the Sneapforum enforcement team...

I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on a 4 string. For critical recording purposes I already have a 5 string that sounds great, so why not give the 4 a go, eh?

Exocaster: Nicely done!!

Thank you, thank you. I like the midrange punch of the Jazz (and mine is active, so I can tweak the mids and top end to sit a little better in the lower tuning. I've been using the Fulltone OCD off my guitar board for dirt), and I only occasionally feel the need for a five in a metal context- the ability to go higher with three-note-per-string scales and box patterns could prove useful, but it's really no harder to transpose and just play higher on the D string. It hasn't proved a real inconvenience yet. I used to use a 5, but I prefer the neck on the Jazz. I wouldn't mind a five-string Jazz though.

...if I was being a real asshole, I'd have two and see how well I could set up the second in F#/EBEAD. :lol: I've experimented a bit with sub-octave bass and it's fun, if a bit muddy, but do-able. And I like industrial music and noisy things, so I don't see it as impractical. It just takes a little doing. Admittedly it's probably best done on an extended-scale instrument, 39" or 40". But I digress.

FWIW, our bassist uses 4 string StingRays in drop B and drop A# with no problems at all. He uses 130 and 135 gauge strings for his B and A#, respectively. With a proper setup, it'll be fine. No different than setting up a normal-scale guitar to handle low tunings, and people do that all the time (including myself).

I tried to pull the trigger on a four string today, but the models I wanted were both new 2010 models and won't be in stock for about a month!

This was covered on another forum I read and the verdict was that with a good setup most basses adapt fine. Many bass players actually found they had to adjust their truss rods due to less string tension despite the higher gauge. Will be having a go at this myself soon.

There was too much bickering and OT BS to read in this thread so here is my opinion: Buy a five string set and throw out the G string. Regardless of what anyone has said here this works fine though you might need to file your nut a bit.
The vast majority of basses 4, 5, and 6 strings are 34" scale. There is no reason using larger strings wouldn't work.
I do believe you get a better, more piano like B from 35" scale but it isn't make or break.

Yeah, I played drop A on my four string for ages with no problem - on cheaper basses it'll probably sound better than a cheap 5 string (the B always tends to suffer for some reason). The only issue I had was that a .135 only just fit through the hole in the bridge. I was using silk-wrapped strings and it literally wouldn't fit unless I took the wrapping off.

Steve