What do you tune your guitars to?

First, they sound fucking tasty. Second, I pound the bastards so hard that anything with less than about twenty-two pounds of tension can't possibly stay in tune - and I'm not really comfortable until I hit about 25-28 (which is the 70 in C#)... my left hand is fine with just about anything, since my hands are fairly big and I'm used to playing jazz and acoustics anyway, but my right hand is a mess without some serious string-abuse going on.

But, yes... I'm so metal I make the periodic table jealous.

Jeff

Atm Drop C# with a set of 10-46 D'Addarios iirc. Wanted to play along to a CD that was in Eb Standard. Some day I needed to a dropped tuning for some reason so I tuned down the lowest string and it stayed there so far! :D
I love Pitch-Shifting songs in Cubase so I don't have to retune (let alone restring - damn, I'm lazy/cheap) my guitar - works surprisingly well albight the vocals sound a little weird if you take a song from B Standard all the way up to E Standard, haha!

All guitars in C# standard for the Shadowdance stuff

Rhythms with 11s
Leads & Melody parts with 10s

The thrash tribute band is mostly all in E standard, with a drop D here and there for a couple Pantera and the SOD stuff

I play in standard on my main 7 string and my 6 strings. I have 2 6 strings for low tuning though and they are in C and C# at the moment.

The others in my band tune to C G C F A D (drop C). I like to make life hard for myself by tuning my bass to C F A# D# G# (standard intervals) because I just don't like playing drop tunings. :p And I hate having one string with a much lower tension than the others.

I start at A440 then drop it just a hair to a particular mark on my tuner that says minus something-erather. I guess it ends up being in between E flat and E. Just sounds right to me. You could call it the Puss Drop.

Just about every record i do is in a different tuning. But the majority (although usually not consecutively) have been in drop C.

Usually i'll ask the guitarist to use a set of 11-52 dean markley nickel steels ( or d'addario) and replace the 52 with a .60...

If they really have a problem with the beefiness of the 60 i may have them try a 58 or 56 but i RARELY allow them to go lower. I've gotten in many arguments with guitarists about string gauge and how it relates to tuning and intonation, and luckily i usually win. Either they eventually trust me or spend an hour with me getting a doubled take in tune before realizing that we could have had the song done had they listened to me in the first place.

I usually up the strings a gauge or so as i go down. A B tuned guitar might see 11-64 or 12-64 depeding on what we are gonna be tracking (how much octave playing, lead work etc....)

If we go as low as A i may even use a .70 on the lows with 12s on the rest. Sometimes though i've used a .60 or .64 for A tuning. It really comes down to tuning issues.

D tuning usually sees 11-52 or 10-52.

Standard im ok with a set of 10s or regular 11s. I rarely allow 9s unless i really believe the player has the finesse to keep them in tune. And thats rare.

A good tip with low tunings is to tune your low string a few cents flat (between 5 and 10 or even more depending on the gauge). Have the guitarist play as hard as he possibly would on the tracking and hold out an open power chord and let it ring til it dies. If it stays in tune the whole time, your good. If not, the string is most likely going sharp becuase of how hard its been hit. Tune accordingly and REMEMBER where you tuned the string to on the tuner. Its vital for doubling and quadrupling takes and having a reference for bass.

Also dont be afraid to punch chords in by the beat or bar. I do it constantly, sometimes retuning for each new chord and quadrupling or doubling immediately. A pain in the ass yes, but prevents tuning meltdowns in the studio.

I've tune to B-E-A-D-F#-B ever since I heard Heatwork ifor the first time in 1994. That's I suppose I call it "Carcass Tuning".
I remember I was in my mates basement with a few friends (who all listened to punk at the time) when I played my guitar in "Carcass tuning" in front of other people. As I said "OK i'm in tune" one of my mates said "In tune to make the neighbours kill them selves?" From that moment on I kept the tuning :heh:

I have toyed with the idea of getting a seven sting and tuning that fukker down to F#-B-E-A-D-F#-B but I haven't had the cash.

My Edwards is in Standard E
My Gibson is in Eb
My Schecter is in Drop D
Might get another Edwards for Drop C#