Do you LPF you guitars and bass?

chadsxe

Super Rad Member
Dec 13, 2005
I was just wondering what your ideas were on Low Pass filtering things. Do any of you LPF the guitar, kick, bass, vocals, etc....>?

It all depends on what you're low-passing. I usually have to low-pass guitars when it's T75 speakers mic'ed with an SM57 around 14kHz. Bass, if I'm trying to make it blend a little better (i.e. not distinct bass, but still there), never on drums, and on vocals only if the de-esser isn't enough on it's own to keep them from piercing my ears.

~006

I have been LPF filtering guitars and until I can hear a change and then backing them off. It is usually is around 10kHZ on bass and 12kHZ guitar. I was just wondering if others considered this a bad idea.

I too have been using the "move it till you hear it" method and then backing it off a bit. Even if there isn't a big audible difference, it's still going to clear out any extra sound and help create space in the top end for cymbals etc.

I LP and HP all over the place, sometimes subtle, sometimes not. Really just depends on what I'm working with and how the mix is sounding as a whole.

I'll HP stuff that won't benefit from those lows and only muddy up the mix IMO. Different elements may benefit from more or less or even none. Vocals, Guitars, Snares, sometimes Bass, etc. will usually get a HP in varying degrees.

I'm also an obsessive A/B'er and compare everything a million times over just to see what exactly it's doing and if it's needed..

As for LPF, the usual suspects. Guitar, OH's slightly, vocals occasionally.

Basically, just experiment and do what sounds good!

Hope I was some help,
Charlie