Another ENGL Sample

First iw ant to tell you that you've improved your sound a lot. I remember a thread where you were facing some problems with getting a good recorded sound frrm your ENGL Savage : http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/342700-engl-savage.html

It seems that you've found the solution. (What was it ? )

About this clip, I'm not sure about what you mean by "collision" but it sounds like when several instruments (bass, 2 grs, bass drum) do the same thing at the same time (ex: triplets) ) they cancel each other or something (i'm not experienced enough to say "this is phase issues" or "this is ... (something else)" ) but i'm sure some "experienced" dude on this forum will tell you what is the problem here.

Do you hear it yourself or am i dreaming ?

Reminds me of some weirdness in a Merauder live video from Hellfest where the double bass parts kind of "cancel" the other instruments when played (check "merauder master killer hellfest" on youtube and you will hear)

Sorry i'm almost a noob but i clearly hear something wrong here

Reminds me of some weirdness in a Merauder live video from Hellfest where the double bass parts kind of "cancel" the other instruments when played (check "merauder master killer hellfest" on youtube and you will hear)

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=4r7IXuujlVk[/ame]

It is from utterly and totally overdone limiting. However, in that video it is the work of the camera - it's a protection from overloading the mic in it. But in studio stuff, you are in the control of a choking limiter. You get it when way too much stuff is competing against each other in the same frequency range. Or if you just want a quick demo of what happens, slap an L2 or L3 into your master channel and pull the threshold down to something ridiculous like -40 dB :lol:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4r7IXuujlVk

It is from utterly and totally overdone limiting. However, in that video it is the work of the camera - it's a protection from overloading the mic in it. But in studio stuff, you are in the control of a choking limiter. You get it when way too much stuff is competing against each other in the same frequency range. Or if you just want a quick demo of what happens, slap an L2 or L3 into your master channel and pull the threshold down to something ridiculous like -40 dB :lol:

thanks for the explanation for what I as a noob called "Bass drum fighting with bass"

Thanks for posting the video by the way it's a good opportunity for me to watch it once again (i've already seen it 10 times already ... but it's been a long time...).
Jorge vocals are awesome :)

Also have a look at the over-tall black security guy in the background. The guy is huuuuuge. It's surreal.

I lowered the input gain, high eq and put high balance at zero.

My theory is that it is the bass/kick fighting each other. I didn't make room for the kick in the bass (no pun at all :O).
I'll do some testing later tonight.

Ok for both.

Personnally on my ENGL SE i roll back the presence a lot now and don't put too much gain (like Presence at 10 o'clock and gain at 10 o'clock also), and i don't put too much treble also (never above 2:30 ). I hate the sound you get when you mic it with too much presence. Way too much air/fizz/treble.

Once the guitars will be 100% tight, and the mixing will be complete i think your clip will kick ass !

It seems you're chasing the drums, not really staying up to the time, and cheating a little bit on the sustained end note of the first riff.

Apart from this playing issue it sounds good. The second version, I mean.
Maybe the drums are a little too mechanical.
It may be a question of style.