String Gauges

Nitronium Blood said:
Do you experience a lot of fret buzz?

It depends from the bridge and nut.

In the Ibanez and Squier Strato I have the fixed bridge with singular saddles, very helpful to accomodate the height and setting whatever string to what I like.

Tune o matic bridge (I have two Epiphones, a Les Paul and an Explorer), the Les paul is OK but not that great a little buzzing if I set too low the action, the Explorer is GREAT, since I made a very good luthier (www.molinelliguitars.it or is it .com?!? don't remember) do a nutjob (ehm...), and now it has a graphite nut and a smooth action without buzzing.

Nitronium Blood said:
Do you experience a lot of fret buzz?

No, not at all. But I also have a very light picking hand and use nylon Dunlop .46mm picks (really thin). I agree with hopkins...if you strike really hard on a mute (not open chops), it sounds heavy when it goes out slightly. I think it comes down to playing style and technique... for instance; I can play all day long with the way my guitar is setup and it sounds great (I think), but then my buddy comes over, plays totally different, picks up my guitar and it sounds like total ass. He kinda man-handles it though. I just play more accurately at a softer velocity. I love these sorts of topics. It's cool to see how one guy's die hard preference is so far from another... but we swear by our setups. Good stuff.

I play Dean Markley Blue Steel 11-52 on my 6-strings, tuned down to drop C#. For my 7 string, tuned to standard B, I usually pick up Ernie Ball 7-string Regular Slinky, which is 10-56.

I hate light strings, and I am very OK with playing even heavier strings than this, but generally I go for a balance of thickness of tone + ease of bending.

A few months ago, I had Fender .10-.46 tuned to E, they were nice, they emphasized the mids but they were good for jazz and other softier stuff. Then moved to d'addario .9-something tuned to E, it had excelent, screaming top end, but the lowest strings were so loose and didn't find them very interesting for palm-mutes or tight rhythms. Now I'm using Rotosound Rotogreys 0.13-0.54 tuned to B, they sound nice. Mids and Low End emphasized...but bass strings are still loose (altho this time it's acceptable, since I am tuned to B)

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
I play really light, and I like my strings pretty slinky. You're all gonna think I'm crazy but I use 10's on my baritone tuned to B flat. It suits me just right. I think it even helps my tone a great deal (a lot brighter).

All right Im gonna start some shit here, but fuck it. Light strings are for lazy guitarists, who lack tone. hahaha

I will clarify something though, I tune to standard C tuning, in other word C-C.

I usually use 13-56's when tuning down to C standard or Drop Bb. In standard tuning, however, I use 11- 52's, so I'm used to tight tension and thick strings. I've always used 11's in standard, as I just like to have something to push against when playing, as well as the fact that I usually just use my standard guitars for practice, and then I go to my downtuned guitars and it feels MUCH easier to do everything.

WingsofRedemption said:
All right Im gonna start some shit here, but fuck it. Light strings are for lazy guitarists, who lack tone. hahaha

I will clarify something though, I tune to standard C tuning, in other word C-C.

That's a fucking ignorant comment. I'm not a "lazy guitarist" nor do I "lack tone". What do you base your assumption on? String gauges are subjective... it comes down to what you're comfortable with. If it feels right, go with it. I'm not gonna tell people they are wrong because of what they are accustomed to, so why the fuck are you? Let's hear your tone? o_O

I will admit that not many people would use 10s on a 28 scale baritone, but I happen to like the way it plays for me. Who are you to judge?

I agree it's good to be able to maintain a level of proficiency regardless of guitar or string gauge but lazy?

To me lighter strings sound better distorted, they have a growl to them, and if you're overly heavy handed like me they have a bit of 'sag' that sounds as heavy as fuck when your really digging in :headbang:

lighter gauge strings are much more hi-fi/brighter and record better imho

2 cents