String Gauges

BlackMetalWhiteGuy

Manly Man!
Apr 15, 2007
Cooperstown and Oswego, NY
My musical experience thus far lies in composition, not in production. Consequently, I'm not familiar with guitars as a whole, but my current guitar has 10 gauge strings on it. Does the gauge refer to all the strings' relations to one specific string, or does each string have its own gauge? Also, how do the gauges of six and seven string guitars relate?

I'd like to get a heavier tone, and my preferred tunings are D and C# on a six string guitar, and A or G# on a seven string. However, I don't want my strings to flop around like noodles, and I don't want to put too much tention on the neck either. Also, I DO NOT use dropped tunings, so presumably, that might eliminate some balance issues.

I'm not interested in recommendations for different amps, stomp boxes, or effects pedals either, so please just stick to the topic of string gauges.

Thank you,

Matthew F. Tabor

10 gauge strings= strings where the high e is .10 and the rest are different(gauge pretty much equals the thickness). 10 gauge strings are like 10,13,17,26,36,46(from higest to lowest or 1st string to 6th string). to get strings for a 7 string guitar you need to buy a special set but the 7th string is usually tuned to B. Usually thicker strings would give you a heavier sound but you may have to adjust the truss rod if you make a drastic change but if your only changing them from 9 to 10 gauge then they should be fine.

hope that helps a bit

It helps a lot, thanks!

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post, that although I almost always tune to D, if I leave the guitar alone for a few days, it will be flat when I return. Does this mean that the strings are too tight and pulling themselves loose, or do I just have to adjust the truss rod a bit? They don't feel tight though and I can still bend notes over a full step.

I also just considered that it has 24 frets, not 22. Would that make any sort of a difference?

It helps a lot, thanks!

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post, that although I almost always tune to D, if I leave the guitar alone for a few days, it will be flat when I return. Does this mean that the strings are too tight and pulling themselves loose, or do I just have to adjust the truss rod a bit? They don't feel tight though and I can still bend notes over a full step.

I also just considered that it has 24 frets, not 22. Would that make any sort of a difference?
if your guitar is going flat after a couple of days, its probably just a little warm in your house.

On string packaging, it will normally say what the strings are best for, like there are two types of D'Addario 12s, one is for lowered and dropped tunings one is for jazz and stuff, depends on what the string is made out of. I personally string my guitar with barbed wire, that's the manliest string gauge.

if your guitar is going flat after a couple of days, its probably just a little warm in your house.
I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I do like to keep it very warm in my dorm. How does it make a difference (if you're being serious)?
On string packaging, it will normally say what the strings are best for, like there are two types of D'Addario 12s, one is for lowered and dropped tunings one is for jazz and stuff, depends on what the string is made out of. I personally string my guitar with barbed wire, that's the manliest string gauge.
Thanks, that makes sense. I'd actually been using goat intestines, but I think I'll adopt your barbed wire idea. It will probably get a much better response from my pickups :headbang:

Also, on this....i once took my guitar in for a service and i couldnt remember what guage strings i used, so the guy whipe out his tool (sry, couldnt help it) and measures the strings..anyone know what tool that was and where to get one?

well if it is too warm, it can cause the wood to warp but i don't think that is the case because that would usually cause a buzz. its normal for strings to go out of tune if you leave your guitar sitting in a case or bag, it always happens to me. if you want to always keep it in tune and not have to adjust almost always before playing it, you need to get the tuner lock system thing which would keep the guitar in tune. guitars with floyd roses stay in tune the best but if it's not too big of a deal then just tune it every now and then. even on my squier, sometimes it will go out of tune while playing it because the tuners are really cheap but on my jackson, it holds tune a bit better.

My esp can stay tuned for nearly a week, and it gets played several hours a day normally, and my tuners don't even lock. All ESPs I've played stay amazinly in tune

[/advertisment]