String Gauge - Does it really matter?

Yelgath

New Metal Member
Jul 16, 2011
This is totally random but I was just thinking... The general consensus is that thinner strings make it easier to play fast. The majority of shredders use little 9 gauge strings and some even use 8. I was thinking though that maybe it's similar to how beginners think that a thin flexible pick is easier to use (After playing for a little while I think it's the opposite now).. It's flexible so it requires less precision. Maybe it's the same way with strings as if you have thin strings they'll get out of the way whereas you have to pay attention to how deep you pick with heavy gauges.

Other things I've heard is that thin gauges are "better" for shredding because they're easier to press and so they take less force to press each note.. I no longer believe this to be true because I've found to like 11 gauge strings and as far as fretting goes it's not any tougher to fret than 9s..
I can even bend up an augmented fourth, sometimes a full fifth with my girly little hands.

Before anyone says this, I know that it's mainly preference and any string gauge whether it be 8 or 13 can be used for shredding or anything. I'm just curious as to whether thin gauges do make playing fast easier or whether they just reduce the amount of precision needed; because the fact is most shredders do tend to favor thin gauges.

Thoughts?

I think they make legato and tapping lines much easier to play, since you need less strength to get them vibrate. So the overall volume sounds more even.

I've always thought the thicker and fatter sound of thick strings were better than the easiness of thin strings. And, the thick strings build your finger muscles much faster.

I've always thought the thicker and fatter sound of thick strings were better than the easiness of thin strings. And, the thick strings build your finger muscles much faster.

But is there really an "easiness" of thin strings? Tone set aside, are they really any easier to play fast on? Obviously bends are easier on them, but unless you have monstrously high action it kinda seems like fretting a string wouldn't differ based on string gauge. I'm just curious, because like I said I generally use 11's and I'm just wanting to experiment. My hand strength has definitely improved since switching to 11's but I'm just wondering about people's opinions on strings effecting speed specifically.

If you have strong hands that are used to playing thick strings, immediately switching to thin strings doesn't always sound good. Speed isn't so much the factor as much as bending the thin strings a quarter tone out so it makes it out of tune. If you're used to thin strings, switching to thick strings will slow you down until you gain strength in your hands. It doesn't take long, a few days really. With bass, the same applies but even more so.

I've never "heard" a difference...it's more of a personal thing and what YOU can handle...I recently switched from 9's to 10's because my 9's would break fairly fast and my 10's haven't broken yet but it you switch from really light strings to heavy's your gonna feel a pretty big difference...all in all I personally don't find any difference in any string, just chose what you want and feel comfortable playing

Well, first of all I don't think there's anyway you're bending up 6 or 7 semitones, especially with 11s. This would only be possible if you were detuned quite a bit.

Lighter gauge strings are indeed easier to fret, but it's really only evident with legato and tapping stuff. I've been using 9s pretty much my whole guitar-playing life (8+ years). I recently bought a Dean Strat that came with 10s and while I could play it fine I noticed my legato and especially string skipping tapping were a little weak. Once I put some 9s on it they were back up to par.

As for lighter strings being easier to pick, I'm not really sure about that. Heavier strings might actually be better for faster picking since the higher tension would give the pick more of a tendency to bounce over the string rather than getting caught in it if it were more rubberbandy.

Of course the obvious advantage of lighter strings is being able to bend more easily. I bend a LOT and have really wide vibrato which is part of the reason I've always used 9s. 10s and especially anything higher have always just felt unnecessarily uncomfortable to me. I actually recently moved down to 8s and am loving them. No point in making it harder on myself. I also don't mind the tone of thinner strings at all.

It's all personal preference
didnt Stevie Ray Vaughn use 13's?
Dallas from Nile uses 12's I believe. Karl uses 10,12,17.. then it gets to the real fat strings.
Dave Mustaine uses 10-52
looks like yngwie likes em thin

... I'm just curious as to whether thin gauges do make playing fast easier or whether they just reduce the amount of precision needed; because the fact is most shredders do tend to favor thin gauges.

Thoughts?

Hey! I hope you all are well \m/

(fyi my second post!)

...imo thinner strings don't make playing faster easier. I find actually the opposite is true for me ...thinner strings feel like spaghetti and are too loose feeling ...which slows me down and causes precision issues fretting & picking ...it's best to have enough tension on the strings for YOUR hands.

I also find that action plays a bigger role in ease of playing. Higher action will slow me down as there is farther to press the strings down onto the frets, and it takes more time to do ...now add to that ...with heavy strings pressing down will then be even harder to do (more tension), and of course, thinner strings will make this easier.

For me:
- higher action + thicker strings = harder to play
- higher action + thinner strings = easier to play
- lower action + thicker strings = more balanced feel, easier to play (has a bit more tension on it though), sounds fuller
- lower action + thinner strings = spaghetti & loose, precision issues, and usually sounds thinner

BTW when I say lower & higher action, that is in terms of my preferences. What is low or high for me. You need to find your range.

Also too high or too low action causes issues as well. Too low and the strings are grossly affected by the magnetic field of passive pickups which throws off tuning & intonation. Too high will sound weak.

Next, keep in mind that when you switch gauges you might need to tweak your action, intonation, and possibly neck relief. The bigger the change in gauge when you switch, the more you'll find you need to make adjustments.

To further complicate these issues, if your neck & frets aren't in good shape & level this will further create issues with adjustments.

The *two* things I am certain of is that this is a trial & error process that takes a while to sort out, and it's personal preference based on your hands & ears.

If you find you are breaking strings a lot, it's often is due to a metal burr in the saddle of the string in question. Or possibly at the points where the string breaks at an angle (like on a strat where the strings come up out of the body, then through a metal eyelet) might have a sharp edge on it. This is easily fixed with a file or dremel tool. (careful!)

One thing I found that might help you is to try out as many guitars as possible. Then if you find one that plays really well for you ...ask the owner about the setup, then try duplicating it on your own axe.

BTW I also find I'm more accurate & clean if I use heavy picks. Thinner picks don't return to straight fast enough for playing fast. Plus with a thicker pick you might find you have more control over your dynamics.

And one more thing ...yeah, if you down tune, make sure to use heavier strings. The lower you go, the thicker strings you'll probably find you need in order to sound good.

Hope that helps! (again just my .02, am by NO means an expert)

Thicker strings = thicker sound. Playability is more important to me, so I don't go heavier than 10's, at least on the D, A, and Low E strings. I prefer the strings to be a bit stiffer on the bass side -- I use 9-46 tuned to E standard. A set of 9-42 feels too floppy to me when playing riffs, and 10's make bending a bit tough for me on the thinner strings - mainly on the high E string. If I was using a shorter scale guitar (Gibson), I would just use a set of 10's.

Thicker strings = thicker sound. Playability is more important to me, so I don't go heavier than 10's, at least on the D, A, and Low E strings. I prefer the strings to be a bit stiffer on the bass side -- I use 9-46 tuned to E standard. A set of 9-42 feels too floppy to me when playing riffs, and 10's make bending a bit tough for me on the thinner strings - mainly on the high E string. If I was using a shorter scale guitar (Gibson), I would just use a set of 10's.

...I like the 9-46 (on longer scale, OFRs) for the same reasons! I'm going to re-try the 10s on my short scale just for s&g soon too...

On an electric guitar I think string gauge makes minimal difference from one gauge to the next size. However, a heavy and an extra lite will sound different to most, I would think. I can hear a difference.
Acoustic guitars are a different story. Since most of us play either exclusively or at least majority on electric, it may be no big deal to think of string gauge and brand on acoustic, but it makes a big difference in my ears on acoustic.

Bryant

Threw a set of 12-56 on mine and drop B tuned it. Absolute beast sound. If that's what you're after. You can't down tune very far on normal strings.

I actually have a set up of 13-58's on my guitar tuned to a drop A and o love the sound!! As some guy dude said, you can't drop to far with a lighter set, the strings tend to lose intanization. For me its all about becoming a better player regardless of the consensus.