Guitar String Gauge for Drop B

Mar 7, 2014
Chokoloskee, FL
I've played a million different tunings before... but never really got into Drop B. I mostly always play in Standard tunings, (Eb, D, and A, usually)

But I'm thinking about joining a band that plays in drop B.
Let it be noted I like super light strings, as it feels great on my Floyd Rose equipped guitars.

For example, on my 6 string in D standard I use a 9-42 set. For A standard on my 7 string I play with a 9-54 set of strings.

I've no idea what string gauge to use for Drop B to still keep the same tension I like. I was thinking 10-52 or 10-50...

Does anybody else play in Drop B or played before in Drop B that could give me some advice before I order a bunch of string sets?

If you don't like a lot of tension on the strings I recommend you the Ernie Balls Beefy Slinkys (11-54 if I'm not mistaken).

Totally would... But I use a 54 for an A... I'm afraid it might be a little too much tension.

On another note, I'm going today to just buy like 3 or 4 different string gauges so i can find the right one.

Wow, you guys like looser strings! I use a 62 for my low string, tuned to Bb standard with a 25.5" scale length, haha. I was going to recommend at least a 56! Even if you like looser strings I'd recommend going a bit heavier for the really low tunings, as it helps maintain a constant note when you play the string (i.e., not going sharp and then settling back down to the pitch after you pick it).

(I also use a 66 for drop G tuning on a baritone)

54's for this. If you pick correctly with your right hand, I think this should sound and feel the best.