Dive Bomb or tuning Drop D,C,B on Floyd Rose Tremelo?

viva_360

Jun 3, 2004
www.facebook.com
Hi, just wanted to ask is it possible to tune a guitar with a Floyd Rose tremelo ... to Drop string tunings such as D,C or B as i still don't get the logic on the tension and the springs .... As when you drop the E bass string down to a step lower .. the whole tremelo goes offcourse ....

And i see a lot of bands these days such as Children of Bodom, Chimaira, Sworn Enemy, or even more others ... each guitarist or such I say the Lead guitarist has a guitar with a floyd rose tremelo ... and using mostly the favourite Drop C tuning ....

And when i hear their songs .. you cann hear dive bombs or floyd rose effects twists .... messing with the whammy bar...

I read before .... like the guitarist from Unearth Buz Mcgrath ... HE uses a 7 string and blocks his tremelo ....

Is it possible to drop dive with a block tremelo?

Thanks for the answers in advance guys!

If the vibrato is "blocked," I don't think you can do divebombs or string pulls since the unit is kept from moving.

You can tune your guitar to any alternate tuning with a vibrato, though you'll have to make adjustments to get it to stay in tune.

I blocked the trem on my 7-string and if you do it right then yeah, you can still divebomb with it...I put the block on it so that you couldn't RAISE the bar, but still lower it...

Babykabob said:
I blocked the trem on my 7-string and if you do it right then yeah, you can still divebomb with it...I put the block on it so that you couldn't RAISE the bar, but still lower it...

Hi cheers for the answers!! but hey Babykabob, I want to ask if you block the floyd rose does it do any physical damage to the guitar?

cheers!

viva_360 said:
Hi cheers for the answers!! but hey Babykabob, I want to ask if you block the floyd rose does it do any physical damage to the guitar?

cheers!

mine didn't, I took the block out later and it was fine...I opened up the back of the guitar, and glued a little metal block between the inside of the trem and the body of the guitar, under the springs, so that it couldnt be raised, but could be lowered...took the block out later to sell it, and it was fine, sold the guitar for what I paid for it ;)

HELLRAISER7.gif

Schecter c7 Hellraiser(7-string, pictured above), string through body( no tremolo) I don't really use one enough to have it on a guitar, and they require more maintenance, and just get in the way for me... I prefer a hardtail...I have an Ibanez RG 7-string that I use as a backup and it's a hardtail also...

I simply increased the tension on the springs by moving the claw closer to the headstock on my 7-string Carvin. I can't be bothered with a vibrato when I can do it with my fingers and I prefer to have my strings as low as possible.

sumairetsu said:
I simply increased the tension on the springs by moving the claw closer to the headstock on my 7-string Carvin. I can't be bothered with a vibrato when I can do it with my fingers and I prefer to have my strings as low as possible.

Yes,I feel the same "tremolo"´s (why the fuck do people call them that?) are quite useless you can vibrato with your fingers and if you want to dive just pre-bend

well,without a tremolo/vibrato you can´t dive open strings though.

Pre-bend is when you bend a string before you pick it,if you then unbend it you will get a diving sound

Majesty said:
well,without a tremolo/vibrato you can´t dive open strings though.

Actually, you can, but you risk breaking/warping the neck of your guitar if you do like I do and bend the entire neck. Even then, you won't get the same amount of "dive" on your vibrato.

You can also do the same thing with your tuners, but, unless you work it into a song, you're probably not going to get the guitar back in tune in time.

And, would everyone quit calling the vibrato a "tremelo?" Tremelo refers to a particular technique of playing where the note's volume is rapidly switched on and off.

It's just as bad as all the actresses in Hollywood being called "divas" when not one of them can carry a tune in a paper bag.

hi people cheers for the reply .... but Majesty this prebend technique ... is it you bend the string first then .. hit it and then bend it back in place to do it?

kind of new to this thing ... is it like pitch harmonics? like the Zakk Wlyde style?

Silver Incubus said:
I think its called a tremolo not tremelo like the technique

Which is a misnomer.

Vibrato means to rapidly change the pitch of the note played up and down; tremelo means sounding the note on and off rapidly.