help with changing tuning on floyd rose

ubiquitos

Deadnight Warrior
Feb 16, 2004
On the Shores of Ithaka (Canada)
Ive got a jackson with a liscenced floyd rose thats in standard tuning with 10-46 guage strings. id like to change the tuning to standard D. anyone have advise on how to do this or a link to a website that helps. thanks

Hey i dont have a floyd rose on my guitar but the lead guitarist in my band uses one and he says there a real bitch to tune, Specially downtuning. All i know is it takes a very very long time and is really annoying. You better have a good temper or you might end up like Dave Mustaine throwing your guitar across the stage. Good Luck....

I never downtune so I've never had to deal with this but I would think that dealing with it would be like if you were changing string gauge. Downtuning will most likely screw up the balance of tension between the strings and the tremolo springs. You should probably tune down and then take a look at the base plate and see whether or not it's sitting parallel with the body of your guitar. If it's not (and if you're downtuning it'll be tilting towards the body), then open up the back of your guitar where the tremolo springs are, look for the two screws that hold the plate which the springs are connected to, and loosen them just a bit (turn them counterclockwise). Only do about a quarter of a turn though. Then retune to whatever tuning you want the guitar to be at (adjusting the springs will put your guitar out of tune), look at the base plate again and if it's sitting parallel with the body then you're done. If it's not then you'll need to adjust the tremolo springs again. As far as I can tell this is the only kind of problem you'll have with downtuning. You just need to balance out the tension between the strings and the tremolo springs.

Ok heres what you do. Open the back of the guitar where the springs are located. Losen the spring tension by turning the screws connecting the metal plate to the body so the springs seem looser. Then downtune the guitar. In order to find a median so the trem bridge isnt to low it is going to take some tinkering. I have an ibanez rg5 with a lo pro floyd rose and i keep it in drop d rather the d standard... its a bitch to find the median where it doens tget set out of tune after every dive... just tinker with it. you wil have to adjust spring tension and retune many times.

i just did it this week and i didnt have much problem sure its a pain in the ass to tune it right but once u got it tahts fine dont forget to stretch your string while restringing itll save you time when tuning