Bass string gauge?

Withstand_The_Fall_Of_Time

New Metal Member
May 31, 2003
Vancouver, B.C.
Visit site
I have a 4 string bass and I was wondering which gauge would be best for B tuning but also have the ability to tune back up to D tuning (which is basically my standard). So I don't have to buy a 5 string... I don't have that much money!! :D
I don't know if I should just get a 5 sting set and throw out the high string or what?
Thanks

There are some really nice 5 strings for relatively little money available.. Might want to look into them simply for the "convenience" factor.. Constantly having to retune gets to be a pain in the arse over time.

Thornmoon said:
There are some really nice 5 strings for relatively little money available.. Might want to look into them simply for the "convenience" factor.. Constantly having to retune gets to be a pain in the arse over time.

What do you recomend? I've heard good things about the Ibanez's but other than that I don't know. Haha I don't even know what model of Ibanez.

Reactions: Thornmoon
Withstand_The_Fall_Of_Time said:
What do you recomend? I've heard good things about the Ibanez's but other than that I don't know. Haha I don't even know what model of Ibanez.
Not sure of your financial situation but at the lowest end I'd recommend a company called OLP. They make a nice Music Man Stingray 5 copy ($249.99 USD @ Musician's Friend). I have a friend who bought one and put a Seymore Duncan pickup in it. Now I can't tell the difference between it and his real Stingray!!
516002.jpg

Also, check out this website: Rondo Music.

They carry the Brice and SX line and although I've never played either personally, I've heard nothing but good things about them.