how do i downtune my 6 string to b, like a 7 string ... it has a locking nut

K of London

Midnight Fallen
Dec 21, 2001
London
www.midnightfallen.com
how do i downtune my 6 string to b, like a 7 string ???... it has a locking nut

I want to do this to my 6 string jackson, and keep the same sort of string tension

i know i have to remove the nut, downtune and then move the springs at the back and use heavier gauge strings

does anybody have any specific instructions i could follow to do this ?? or know asite with instructions, i can;t fnd my answer
cheers
Kiran

which string gauge and which tuning do you use at the moment??
I would say: try 12s or 13s for b-tuning (12s work well with C-tuning on my guitar)

No you don't have to do that. I don't know about Jacksons but Ibanez has a similar model and there are some screws near the bridge. Lossen the screw and it should loosen your strings.

Lossen the screw and it should loosen your strings
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, riight. =)

Let me say what I think:
It is possible, but in my opinion it would be too much trouble to make the guitar both play and sound good. But it may just be that I'm lazy. :p

First of all - 1) Some people claim that Floyd bridges get a bit difficult with strings that are much heavier guage. I can't verify this from personal experience - it's just what I've heard, but it is a fact that most 6-string Floyds are designed for .009 guage strings.

2) You will have to intonate the guitar to match the heavier strings. If you know how to do this, no problem I guess. If you don't, you'll have to pay someone to do it.

3) If you're unlucky, the difference in force put on the neck could make the neck bend either forwards or backwards (messing up the string height or creating fret buzz), in which case you'll have to adjust the neck tension. If you're not proficient in working with guitars, I suggest you leave this to be done by a professional.

These are some of the reasons why I personally would stay with "normal" guage strings. If you feel you must go that low however, sure - it is possible - just be aware that you may encounter some odd problems along the way.

If I were in your shoes, I'd first try to accomplish the downtune using a pitch shifter and see how it sounds. If it sounds good and doesn't cause any delay of attack (some units do this), it's an option IMO. =)

You will NOT have the same string tension that you do in standard E. If you want a standard feeling sting tension, you will need to get a BARITONE scale guitar... that's approximately a 27" scale. Your Jackson is 25.5".

If you want to tune your guitar to B, and you have a floating bridge, there are several things you will need to do.

I'd suggest going to a higher gauge set of strings, possibly 13's.

1) Tune your guitar down to B using a tuner...

2) Your Licensed Floyd, will NOT be level with the body, so you will need to remove the square cover on the back of your guitar.

3) There are 2 screws for adjusting the spring claw. You will want to loosen these until the base of the trem is PERFECTLY PARALLEL to the body...

4) RETUNE your guitar to B. Make some final adjustments to the trem, making sure that it is sitting level with the body (this is important for proper intonation).

5) Let the guitar "settle". (any time you change string tension, string gauges, etc... your neck will settle)

6) Play all parts of the neck, and make sure it is to your satisfaction... no buzzing, action set at proper height, etc...

7) If you need to make neck adjustments, like to correct a fret buzz, do this now... (if you're not sure how to do this, ASK before doing anything further!!! I can run down this process step by step for you if necessary).

8) At this point, with the trem sitting level, the neck at the correct bow, the strings tuned, it is time to check your intonation... Hit the 12th fret natural harmonic to make sure you are tuned to correct pitch, then check the fretted 12th note against the tuner, to make sure it reads the same pitch.

If any of these are off, and you do NOT have a strobe tuner or have never done an intonation, take it in...

You can adjust the saddles yourself, but without a strobe tuner or oscilliscope, you will not get an accurate reading.

IF the fretted note is sharp, move the saddle away from neck, if it is flat, move it closer, but make sure to check the 12th fret harmonic with the fretted note after each adjustment.

It doesn't take much to throw it off... and without the proper tools, it may take an hour or two.

If you have any other questions, post them here...

Originally posted by xenophobe
You will NOT have the same string tension that you do in standard E. If you want a standard feeling sting tension, you will need to get a BARITONE scale guitar... that's approximately a 27" scale. Your Jackson is 25.5".

If you want to tune your guitar to B, and you have a floating bridge, there are several things you will need to do.

I'd suggest going to a higher gauge set of strings, possibly 13's.

1) Tune your guitar down to B using a tuner...

2) Your Licensed Floyd, will NOT be level with the body, so you will need to remove the square cover on the back of your guitar.

3) There are 2 screws for adjusting the spring claw. You will want to loosen these until the base of the trem is PERFECTLY PARALLEL to the body...

4) RETUNE your guitar to B. Make some final adjustments to the trem, making sure that it is sitting level with the body (this is important for proper intonation).

5) Let the guitar "settle". (any time you change string tension, string gauges, etc... your neck will settle)

6) Play all parts of the neck, and make sure it is to your satisfaction... no buzzing, action set at proper height, etc...

7) If you need to make neck adjustments, like to correct a fret buzz, do this now... (if you're not sure how to do this, ASK before doing anything further!!! I can run down this process step by step for you if necessary).

8) At this point, with the trem sitting level, the neck at the correct bow, the strings tuned, it is time to check your intonation... Hit the 12th fret natural harmonic to make sure you are tuned to correct pitch, then check the fretted 12th note against the tuner, to make sure it reads the same pitch.

If any of these are off, and you do NOT have a strobe tuner or have never done an intonation, take it in...

You can adjust the saddles yourself, but without a strobe tuner or oscilliscope, you will not get an accurate reading.

IF the fretted note is sharp, move the saddle away from neck, if it is flat, move it closer, but make sure to check the 12th fret harmonic with the fretted note after each adjustment.

It doesn't take much to throw it off... and without the proper tools, it may take an hour or two.

If you have any other questions, post them here...

listen to xenophobe....he knows fucking loads....i did the same thing with my fender (bad idea)....it is now in the corner of my room...totally fucked...

hi, thanks so much for your advice, its really kind of you :)

ive downtuned my gibson, it sounds alright. next weekend i'll have to follow you instruction and work with the jackson. The only thing im worried about is not being able to shred with such heavy strings, i use 9's !!

next year i'll buy a 7 string ! first i need a mesa power amp

Don't worry about the shredding bit. Heavier strings actually feel quite nice as well once you get used to them :)

Basically setting the floyd isn't too bad, and if you get a good book on guitar setups it may teach you a whole lot about action, truss rod settings and the like. But read through xenophobe's advice, he's hit the nail on the head.