most used Tunings and string gauges?

vejichan

Dec 29, 2011
i am totally new to this alternate tuning world. Up until last week i have never venture outside of standard tuning and eb tuning

I have 4 guitars that are all in standard e tuning. i realize that it might be more productive and useful to have them in different tunings.

now with that in mind what are the most widely used tunings outside of eb and e standard for prog metal/hard rock music?

need advice on what my options are for each guitar? i plan to have a tech set it up for that tuning

1) 1 guitar setup for standard e. --- what options with alternate tuning to i have that wouldn't require any adjustments (truss rod/intonation etc) what string gauge do you recommend for this?

2) 1 guitar setup for standard eb. --- what options with alternate tuning to i have that wouldn't require any adjustments (truss rod/intonation etc) what string gauge do you recommend for this?

3) 1 guitar setup for drop c. --- what options with alternate tuning to i have that wouldn't require any adjustments (truss rod/intonation etc) what string gauge do you recommend for this?

4) 1 guitar?? no idea

thanks

Anytime you have a guitar setup for a particular tuning, that's it. You don't have any options with alternate tunings. Once you change the tuning, the intonation will be off. And, depending on if it's a tremolo equipped guitar, you're going to have even more adjustments to make. Setup the guitar for a particular tuning and leave it.

We can't really give you string gauge recommendations because we need to know the scale length of your guitar. Also, what string gauge are you used to will play a role, too. Keeping the string tension the same across guitars with different tunings will help with playability and things like note-bends.

On recommending a tuning, that's totally subjective. Just find some artists that you really like. Find out what they are tuned to and give it a try. Experiment. You don't need someone to hold your hand like some child.

Honestly, it's up to you. I hate to give that answer, but it's really all about personal taste. My guitars are tuned to Eb with 10-46 Ernie Ball Cobalts. One's a 24.75" scale and the other is a 25". On the other hand, Jon Schaffer uses the same tuning, but strings his with 13-56 gauge D'Addario strings. Most, if not all, of his guitars are 24.75" Gibsons.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
With different string gauges you have to adjust the neck. Period. And it matters to your playing style too. If you are a heavy hitter on the strings you can't have too low action and will benefit with thicker strings. Take your guitars to a luthier when you have decided your tunings. If he's worthy the name luthier he will adjust your guitars to your playing style and string gauges.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Difficult to give a clear answer, as others mentioned, but I guess one could give you the basic physic notions behind string resonance.

The natural frequency (the open string note) of a string is a function of its mass (or density), it's length and the force in it (its tension).

Longer scale guitars (27" for example) are used for lower tunings because, for the same material and force in the string, the longer string will give a lower note. For a shorter scale (25" or lower), you'd have to lower tension to get the same note with the same string material (quite obvious right?). Meaning you can still have a feeling of "stiffness" even when going drop tuned on a longer scale. while a shorter scale might feel a bit floppy, since you need to reduce the tension.

But, what you can understand is, depending of the string material, guitar scale, and your personnal preferences, you could go for many different gauges and all of them would work. (considering you do a full setup everytime you try a different one).

On my 7 String guitar that is in standard B, I use a regular 10-46 for the 6 strings and a 60 for the 7th string. A lot of people prefer bigger gauge, but I'm more of a lead guitarist, therefore, don't like heavy gauge much.

For me, the biggest concern is always on the lower strings. For instance, by how much is the 7th string going out of tune on pick attack. The bigger the string is, the less fluctuation you'll get, but the tougher it is to play. (unless you use EverTune bridges).