but very rarely in standard.

would you buy a 4 or 5 string for this?

with a 4 string i would have to change strings every time i
go from standard to drop C.

having a 5 string i could tune the low B to C and then "transcribe"
the rest to fit the drop C tuning. also if a do not touch the 4th string i
can use it in normal tuning.

any ideas?

I tried your method, in a five string bass, the low string to a C wihout changing the others strings but it sucks man, really hard. Because if you get used to play a song in drop C tuning in a guitar, makes it hard to not do the same on bass. Of course you can "transcribe" and make it work but it´s not easy. Especially if you have to use the low C alternating with other notes on the next string.

Also, my experience tells me if you have a low budget five strings bass, the low string will not sound the same as the others and this is very, very annoying. The clarity, definition is not the same and this isnt just because it´s a low string. When I am talking about low budget bass I am not even talking about really shitty basses for 150/200 euros but basses like a yamaha rbx 375 or a squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V, they cost above 300 euros. Still the low string sucks. But about this there are probably here people with more knowledge.

I also have just one bass, 4 strings and it´s in drop D, When I need a drop C I use a pitch shifter. It´s not the same but it does the job well IMO.

I would go for something with a 35" scale if drop C is going to be your main tuning. 5 strings are more common to find with the 35" scale, I think.

I've gone down to B with my 4strings, a Fender Jazz, a Gibson Thunderbird both 34" and a 4string ESP LTD that happened to be 35". You got to find a good balance of strings, too thick and it's not going to sit in the nut right but I switch between standard and drop C with these and besides a setup, never been an issue. I've just never liked 5-strings tbh

Yeah 34" can be made to work well for sure, and I prefer 4 string basses too, but I just can't live without my 35" scale, lol. Each to his own.

thanks for the info guys! :)

i think i'll buy a new 4-string.
transcribing is not a big problem but the differing sound that comes
from the low b seems to be a problem here.

i know the problem from guitar strings that are too thick, they just sound like crap.

as for the bass, can't go wrong with a MIJ ibanez right?

specificially talking about this one:

http://www.thomann.de/de/ibanez_sr1200l_vnf.htm

as i am lefthanded there's not much to chooose from...

cheers
FIX

I've got my 34" five-string tuned DGCFA because I'm a guitarist and can't be bothered to learn this thing properly. Works decently, although getting a comfortable string gauge takes a bit of work.

I tried your method, in a five string bass, the low string to a C wihout changing the others strings but it sucks man, really hard. Because if you get used to play a song in drop C tuning in a guitar, makes it hard to not do the same on bass. Of course you can "transcribe" and make it work but it´s not easy. Especially if you have to use the low C alternating with other notes on the next string.

Also, my experience tells me if you have a low budget five strings bass, the low string will not sound the same as the others and this is very, very annoying. The clarity, definition is not the same and this isnt just because it´s a low string. When I am talking about low budget bass I am not even talking about really shitty basses for 150/200 euros but basses like a yamaha rbx 375 or a squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V, they cost above 300 euros. Still the low string sucks. But about this there are probably here people with more knowledge.

I also have just one bass, 4 strings and it´s in drop D, When I need a drop C I use a pitch shifter. It´s not the same but it does the job well IMO.

This.

I play 7 string so a 5 string bass is a perfect match and I can play it the same on both.

ok, i just ordered the ibanez bass, i'll report back when it's here.
currently i am playing a schecter stiletto custom 4.
optically it's absolutely nice but i can't make it sound good. sure i am
not a bass player and i play the bass like an electric guitar,
so this might play a fairly big role but then again i am pretty sure it's the EMG pickups i just do not like.

i hope the upgrade is worth the price...

the bass arrived today and not only that it's not MIJ (it's actually made in indonesia) it was damaged also...
i have already prepared the return. i really like the sound of it but it could be fresh new strings that make me a bit biased.

what now? should i get the same bass again, or look for something new?
the guitar market is pretty goood for leftys nowadays but getting a good lefty bass still seems like an impossible task.