drop C - 6 string gauge suggestions

Pablo333

Jan 13, 2009
getting my new axe soon - going to tune down to drop C for a change

was wondering about the best gauge for this tuning ?? especially the low E

I'm struggling keeping power chords in tune on my ibby with 10-46 in drop c

thanks

I have always used 11-54 in Drop C, just enough balance. Ernie Ball has a nice set, but beware of the G-string :)lol:) it is "p", it's a lot thicker than a usual G.

Or you could try the DR Jeff Healey 10-56 set :)

I have always used 11-54 in Drop C, just enough balance. Ernie Ball has a nice set, but beware of the G-string :)lol:) it is "p", it's a lot thicker than a usual G.

Or you could try the DR Jeff Healey 10-56 set :)
yeah 54-11 is great

these are what i've been using the last 5 or so years

guitar%20strings.jpg

I use Elixir Baritones. 12-68.
They're awesome for fast picking.

I also used Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys (12-56)
and DR DDT's (13-62?)
But I didn't like them so much, they don't last very long.

Take a look at GHS Boomers. The Zakk Wylde set is nice.
I think they're 11-70's or something.

Note, I mostly tune down to Drop B and on occasion, A.
But when I was in Drop C I used the same strings.

It really depends on how you play, start with 11-54's and move up or down depending on how you feel. Personally I'm a bass player by trade and an occasional guitarist (basically I only play to write and record), and since I'm used to belting my bass I can't have any lighter than a 56.

As others have said >>

LA%20BELLA%20HRS-LTHB.jpg

You get the best of both worlds; heavy bottom, but also, comfort for shredding.
For C it's the perfect match (on a Floyd), imo.

I'm currently on some Elixir 12-52, and I hate how stiffer the gtr feels. Also, not liking the coating thing, btw.

Drop C -on a 6 string- rules all

Well depends on how tight you want your low string.

Dean Markley's 12-54 sounded very good to me and also DR DDT's 11-54. I tried EB's Not Even Slinkies 12-56 once, but that G string was unwound and super thick. It sounded like ass.

Lately I found that the GHS Boomers 7L are awesome for Drop C. That's a seven string set, but you can get rid of the .9 and you've got 11-58! Sounds really great recorded, it's tight and cheaper than some six string packs!

Well depends on how tight you want your low string.

Dean Markley's 12-54 sounded very good to me and also DR DDT's 11-54. I tried EB's Not Even Slinkies 12-56 once, but that G string was unwound and super thick. It sounded like ass.

Lately I found that the GHS Boomers 7L are awesome for Drop C. That's a seven string set, but you can get rid of the .9 and you've got 11-58! Sounds really great recorded, it's tight and cheaper than some six string packs!

Damn, I gotta move to Greece. 7 string packs are expensive as fuck here, regardless of brand.

man, I dunno if the nut on my new axe would handle a 56!!! have ordered a 10-52 set of DR's