Tuning down for the first time, recommend me a gauge and some strings..

It makes everything sound and feel more balanced, and if you knock strings too hard and they go out of tune they're closer together until they settle back. I need tons of tension to keep from pounding them out (hence the heavy strings) but if you don't then you might want to try using lighter ones for comfort.

Jeff

What gauge are those? If those are their 10-52 set, that'll just be much too light.

Jeff

Yeah thats what they are. I actually might string my DADGBE guitar up with these. I think they might a perfect fit for this tuning.

If you're used to 10-46 in E, they'll feel fine. If your pick attack is restrained and not overly harsh, there shouldn't be too many stability or tuning problems.

Jeff

What gauge are those? If those are their 10-52 set, that'll just be much too light.

Jeff

yes it´s that gauge . it´s called Heavy bottom:Smug:
i´ve got on my guitar and it´s tuned to C.
for me it feels great and as for tuning problems the only hassle is to set it properly with the tension of the floyd

for me it feels great and as for tuning problems the only hassle is to set it properly with the tension of the floyd

You think that would be overkill for DADGBE?

There are plenty of light-heavy sets out there - the two Zakk Wylde sets from GHS being popular too - and I can't justify calling 52 heavy. Gauges are more helpful than names.

No, it wouldn't be overkill - it would be closer to 'normal' than 10-46 and would hold tuning better. I'd recommend playing strings with as much tension as you can comfortably play for stability and tone reasons.

Jeff

Chad,
I never said it to be overkill, just comfortable (for me)!!

So it isn´t really heavy but it´s "closer to normal" and i think it holds tuning pretty well.
Also consider intonation issues........blabla.

Jeff´s quote summes it all
"I'd recommend playing strings with as much tension as you can comfortably play for stability and tone reasons."
I think this is the most important thing

P.

I just got my Schecter setup, the tech had no heavy bottoms on hand, so he put on a set of 7 string for E-D. I think it's a little too much to be honest. He reccomended the heavy bottoms to me, so I bought some. He said they will hold their tuning for drop C just fine. I am pretty sure the heavy bottoms were made for Drop C tuning.