Low-tuning on basses: 5 or 4 string?

Eschatologist

Jun 15, 2008
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Curious what everyone prefers for basses in the lower tuning range (C or B standard). I know the obvious choice is a 5 string bass, but I am thinking of getting a 4 to tune down, for ergonomic reasons (new band I am jamming with has got some demanding material). Would a low B string tone suffer greatly on a down tuned 4 string (34" scale) as opposed to the "standard" 35" scale of a typical 5 string bass?

I hate the size of 5-string necks, and for what I look for in a bass - 4-strings fit the bill 99% of the time. That said, I have an ESP B-500 which is is a 4string but 35" scale, and then I have a few others basses that are all 34". There is a definite improvement in C and lower tuning on the ESP. I can get the 34" comfortable in Drop C with a .115 but anything lower too much lower and I have to use an even bigger gauge string like .120, and would possibly have to mod the nut for B gauge string to fit. Maybe if I have a bass I was ready to commit to always being basically 5-string sets minus the G but not yet. I have the nut issue with the ESP, but the 35" scale with either .110 or .115 feels really good and not nearly as stiff. :lol: I don't know if any of that will translate, but if you don't like 5'ers but are going to downtune mostly, try and find 35" 4'er and you'll be good to go.

Thanks for the insight. I am ok with filing out the nut, I've done it before for guitars and have a good file for the job. I'm also used to using .130s on the low B of my current 5 string....so I guess the issue is whether 35" is absolutely critical. I know there are some 34" 5 stringers, so I think the lower scale might still be ok since I'm willing to handle the thicker strings. I was looking at the Spector Legend, but I will see if I can find a B-500 somewhere....they seem to be discontinued.

I think the answer is nuanced. It depends on which 5 and which 4 you're talking about. Same thing goes for the ergonomics. For example an SR505 (thin front to back and 16.5mm spacing) is probably easier on the hands than an old precision (thicker neck, 21mm spacing).
I'll definitely echo that 35" scale should be given strong consideration. The advantage is 2 fold, first the obvious tension advantage and second the fact that any 35" scale base has been build with BEAD in mind.

The longer scale is definitely an advantage. I myself have a 34" scale 5 string that I play 1 tone downtuned, and only with a .155 gauge string can I get the tension that is right for me on the low A.