Bass

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
I need to buy a new bass, and a new bass amp / cab...

I know nothing about bass amping, is it the same as how you would get a head and cab for a guitar? Except you get a bass head and cab? Or is the whole bass thing "combo amps"? I'm looking at the Schecter 5-string Stiletto, it looks like a good bass. :)

Also check out Rondo Music... their Brice HXB series slays. There's a thread of mine around somewhere... 6-string, bubinga top on alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, two active humbuckers, onboard preamp. Dead sexy, never had ANYONE think I paid less than about a grand for it.

Jeff

I need to buy a new bass, and a new bass amp / cab...

I know nothing about bass amping, is it the same as how you would get a head and cab for a guitar? Except you get a bass head and cab? Or is the whole bass thing "combo amps"? I'm looking at the Schecter 5-string Stiletto, it looks like a good bass. :)

I can comment on the quality of my Schecter (Guitar), which is fantastic, these things are really well put together. I would say that buying one is a safe option. Are you looking at getting a bass amp just for recording purposes? If so buying a whole amp isn't really necessary, just get a Sansamp DI/Pre. Unless, of course, you have loads of cash to throw at it.

the Schecter Stiletto Custom is a really nice bass... I'd say it's one of the best bang-for-the-buck basses for modern tones nowadays...

If you don't mind buying used, I'd say have a look on ebay or some other places where you can get a used ESP LTD F-205, C-305, or, if you don't mind the shorter scale, B-205, or B-305

Well I do want to record bass through an amp because I want that better sound that I can only imagine would come from that... but the direct-input sound really isn't that bad with bass. I just want something that sounds more professional and pleasing to the ear. :)

edit: by the way, that Spector looks mint! How would you guys weigh the Spector vs. the Stiletto? :)

Personally, as a bass player, I've found Spector's neck and body more comfortable than anything Schecter has put out.

I'll put it this way; I wouldn't buy a Schecter bass, but I would buy a Spector.

DI is actually going to be more useful, honestly. Most people around would rather take a DI than a miced track because you can do so much more with it.

Jeff