Bathory albums ranked

PrincessHades

Apr 11, 2015
Destroyer of Worlds- I wish I could like this album more. It has a few good songs, and it's very brutal in sound, but it is too inconsistent and directionless to be enjoyed as a whole.

Octagon-Honestly, I haven't lisetened to this in whole, but it is the lesser of the first two retro thrash Bathory albums. Again, it has a few good songs.

Requiem-Now we are getting into "good" territory. Some of the songs are lackluster, but a select few are pretty badass.

Blood on Ice-Probably the least extreme Bathory album, but it has some beautiful songs on it.

Twilight of the Gods-I want this one to be a concept album, but instead, it is sort of directionless. That said, it is Bathory's heaviest and most textured album.

Blood Fire Death-In the same vein as Destroyer of Worlds, this one suffers very slightly due to its being situated in between genres. It is a great album nonetheless, though overshadowed by the surrounding albums.

Nordland I and II-I haven't listened to these albums in their entirety yet, unfortunately, but the songs I have heard are great.

The Return...of Darkness and Evil-The atmosphere in this album is very immersive and intense, however it is probably the least memorable in Bathory's discography.

Hammerheart-Fuck yes!

Bathory-This one sounds like what would happen if Venom members were real Satanists. The evil mystique draws me to this one, despite the music being fairly status quo for black metal at the time.

Under the Sign of the Black Mark-This one sincerely scared the Hell out of me when I first heard it. Bathory truly sounded like some sort of malicious entity at this point.

(Forgive any errors, I typed this on my phone.)

Hammerheart
Blood on Ice
Twilight of the Gods

Nordland (both combined)
Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Blood Fire Death
The Return...
Bathory
Requiem
Destroyer of Worlds
Octagon

1. Hammerheart
  2. Blood Fire Death
  3. Twilight of the Gods
  4. Nordland I
  5. Destroyer of Worlds
  6. Blood on Ice
  7. Nordland II
  8. Under the Sign of the Black Mark
  9. Bathory
  10. The Return
  11. Octagon
  12. Requiem

Last edited:
1. Twilight of the Gods
2. Hammerheart
3. Blood on Ice
4. Nordland
5. Blood Fire Death
6. The rest...meh

Pretty diverse group of opinions here. It's interesting to see people not even include the self-titled or The Return on their lists when others (like me) hail those as 1st way black metal masterpieces just a hair under Under the Sign and Hammerheart.

Reactions: Manic Ferocity